Garmin etrex question

Hi

I bought a Garmin etrex thats about a year old. Happy enough with the GPS. It comes with a lead to link it to a PC. However its not a USB lead but a a 9 pin plug.

Anyone else have the garmin etrex? Is it possible to get a USB lead for this GPS? Or a way that works to convert this 9 pin plug into a USB lead?

I have that one....an eTrex Legend. The 9-pin was fine for me on my other computer because I had an extra port. My new computer doesn't so I had to go to Radio Shack and get me an adapter from 9-pin to USB. The thing cost me about $30 though! I decided the cost far outweighed the amount of effort I had to take to type each one into my geep again. I was spoiled from just pointing and clicking and then having to go back to manual was time consuming.

Hi

I bought a Garmin etrex thats about a year old. Happy enough with the GPS. It comes with a lead to link it to a PC. However its not a USB lead but a a 9 pin plug.

Anyone else have the garmin etrex? Is it possible to get a USB lead for this GPS? Or a way that works to convert this 9 pin plug into a USB lead?

When I started Geocaching my son-in-law loaned me his old eTrex Legion which, as you say, had the serial port connector. Since most computers connect hardware by way of the USB connector now they don't have the serial port. As has already been mentioned in other posts, you can buy an adapter, but when I looked for one they ran between $30- $40. I don't know what it would cost to put a serial card into your computer. I never checked into it. I was astounded that an adapter cost that much for all that it is.