Grr @ Eclipse Mint Micro-Caches

:P

Today, had 3 'Eclipse Mint Micro-caches' on the list and failed to find all three. For those who dont know, they are about the size of a film canister, but rectangle shaped and usually painted camo. I understand using them in locations such as cities and high-traffic areas for sneakability, but seriously, the places we went today looking were perfectly well equipped with hiding spots and sneaky little nooks to hide a lunch box or even small container caches.

This thread is just a rant about inappropriate times for placing Micro-caches where they are not necessary and just make the hunt difficult to impossible when hidden in such large areas. Thanks for reading and leave a comment if you agree or disagree.

By the way, all 3 caches were published by the same user, same line at the end of the notes: Looking for a camo eclipse mint container. This guy must be a Wriggley's sales rep, surely.

Josh Smart

Team USBUSU

This thread is just a rant about inappropriate times for placing Micro-caches where they are not necessary and just make the hunt difficult to impossible when hidden in such large areas. Thanks for reading and leave a comment if you agree or disagree.

I agree that having a micro in some places is not fun. I disagree that you have to get frustrated. There's no need to go look for it. My point is - if you know it is something you won't enjoy, ignore it.

Or try a metal detector next time if the situation allows :P

I have one out there myself. Personally, I like this tins; however, I understand the frustration of wanting a bigger cache where one can be. The problem with that is, prehaps where it is locate there isn't a possiblity of having a regular size cache. Yes there may be hiding spots, but that doesn't mean that permission for the cache is going to be granted. We have one nearby that I did a few weeks ago where there is a spring with really good water running off the mountain. The hider put a pop top cache on the end of a stick and has it hid under a rock with just the stick end poking out. All around the spring is woods and there could have been places to put a larger cache, but with the activity at the spring among other things, the micro works best. I have seen many micros done very well and wouldn't mind hunting for them in the woods, although at times you can waste alot of time turning over every stick to see if a bison tube is shoved in the end of it.

Don't hate the micro, they can be fun!

Why do you like them? Are they water & weather proof?

I had one hidden completely exposed to the elements for 3 seasons in Wisconsin including winter and it was still dry in the Spring.

And you get mints with the container purchase..

They make fine cache containers once cleaned and camoed.

-cheeto-

I think so many people hide micro's because they're easier to deal w/ rather than the larger caches.... I personally, like the (large) size, to hide some sweet swag in!

But... part of the fun is the mixture of sizes to try and find!

Gotta admit, if you don't like micro's, just don't search for them... Sorry.. just my opinion. At least the geocaching website tells us what each cache is like, so we can choose whether or not to search for them...

The other option: go out there and put some normal or large sizes around your area! Maybe others will see how fun they are and will try to place more themselves?

:)

Why do you like them? Are they water & weather proof?

I had one hidden completely exposed to the elements for 3 seasons in Wisconsin including winter and it was still dry in the Spring.

And you get mints with the container purchase..

They make fine cache containers once cleaned and camoed.

-cheeto-

Yeah, well, I've heard about you Appleton guys. A cache could be soaking wet in the morning, but by evening, the wind generated by all the power cachers will have it bone dry! :)