Whoops

JhnRls

Saw this in the news today about a cache mistaken for a bomb on fiesta island. Funny cuz I was just caching there yesterday. Wonder what cache it was and if they destroyed it.....

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/...V6y0J405Og.cspx

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...7c-3748aa4ead91

Sadly, a brand new multi that (according to the folks that have done it) was really cool. Now Archived.

We've just returned home from a mammoth road trip in the USA and, whislt in California (but, oddly, nowhere else), were surpised at the number of caces we found that could easily be mistaken for pipe bombs - including one opposite the gates of a verteran's cemetery...

For example we found this at one location;

3a3500db-3e5b-44c7-a180-fd9139902dfa.jpg

Perhaps local caching organisations (and cachers) need to make their peers a bit more savvy?

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

We've just returned home from a mammoth road trip in the USA and, whislt in California (but, oddly, nowhere else), were surpised at the number of caces we found that could easily be mistaken for pipe bombs - including one opposite the gates of a verteran's cemetery...

Perhaps local caching organisations (and cachers) need to make their peers a bit more savvy?

I have done just that in the past. A geocacher placed a cache that looked like a pipe bomb in a location very near where a previous cache was blown up by the bomb squad. All I got was tons of grief for reporting the cache. Some people just don't see the bigger picture sometimes.

I've actually found an ammo can before that had the words "Grenades" in nice big yellow letters on the side used as a cache container. How hard is it to grab a can of spray paint and paint over the military markings? Every one of mine ammo cans (and I've placed over 50+ cans to date) have all the military markings painted over and I use a stencil to paint Geocaching wording on the sides.