new cache submittal

Yes, if it's a good faith work in progress, the spot is "reserved" for a reasonable period of time.

Placing inactive cache pages every 528 feet in a popular park would not be in "good faith."

"I am working with the historical society on a complex multicache that will end with a container in this area once all the other work is finished" is a good faith situation. The same log from 2007 would not carry the same weight.

Speaking of which, leave a reviewer note on your page to explain what's going on with your disabled unpublished cache. Reviewers see these pages when checking nearby caches. Reading the explanation is a time-saver.

Thanks, I was hoping that was the case as I was working on a few that I want to publish just before the fourth of July but this one is at a spot where they just erected a fighter jet at an American Legion hall. I think it might be a hot spot so I want it first!

Here in central Florida, we have to deal with city and county bureaucrats to acquire permission to place caches in places like public parks, but because of the budget shortfalls that local governments are having to cope with, approving the placement of caches is extremely low on their list of things to do. A fellow geocacher has been trying to get a three-stage multi-cache approved by the county for the last six months, and after three emails and one phone message, there has not been a single response, but she has continued to email the Volunteer Reviewer to let her know that the delay is with the county. As long as she stays in contact with the reviewer, the reviewer said she would "lock in" each stage of the cache as though the cache had already been approved, thereby keeping anyone else from placing another cache close by.

If you should encounter a problem with an approval, email the reviewer and they should be more than willing to give you the time you need. Good luck. :(

Edited by rocketsteve

Thanks, rocketsteve -- that is an excellent example. Here in Pennsylvania, a permit for a state forest cache placement can take from one to six months to obtain. The reviewers are quite used to working with hiders in these situations.

In Pat's case, a three week "reservation" while he prepares a container and cache page for the spot he found is also fine. Note: if you want publication timed for just before July 4th, check with your reviewer in advance by submitting the page with a note stating your timing preference. Remember it's a holiday period and your reviewer may be traveling. A reviewer caching outside of WiFi and cellphone range on July 4th weekend is a happy reviewer, but the owner would be disappointed that their cache wasn't published for the holiday crowd to find. If advance arrangements are made for timed publication (possibly by a reviewer in Europe who's not celebrating a holiday), then we would have a happy reviewer AND a happy cache owner AND happy finders of the new cache.

Yes keystone I have sent mtn-man my intentions on several occasions since we are working on a special 100th hide Geocachers cache of caches GC1M9JD

We wanted to release this one on the weekend of the forth since several of our more active cachers are working out of state this summer and I wanted them too have a fair shot at this one. They will be in town for the forth. Then we decided to just place a few more and make it a good weekend.

Thanks, rocketsteve -- that is an excellent example. Here in Pennsylvania, a permit for a state forest cache placement can take from one to six months to obtain.

You are kidding, right? OK, I know that you are not, but that is ridiculous. I would not hide a cache in such a situation. If that ever happens in my neck of the woods, I'm finished as a hider. Seriously. I simply do not have the patience for anywhere near such bureaucracy. My hat is tipped to those that do, though. You are better at this game than I am!

Thanks, rocketsteve -- that is an excellent example. Here in Pennsylvania, a permit for a state forest cache placement can take from one to six months to obtain.

You are kidding, right? OK, I know that you are not, but that is ridiculous. I would not hide a cache in such a situation. If that ever happens in my neck of the woods, I'm finished as a hider. Seriously. I simply do not have the patience for anywhere near such bureaucracy. My hat is tipped to those that do, though. You are better at this game than I am!

Well at least he has an expectation of a response. I submitted a application April 2008 with the Washington State Parks. They said it will only be good until December 2008, but I could renew. I have yet to hear back. So I place my caches on a nearby tree farm. When I ask the forester about putting a cache there he said "Go for it". I'm not going to waste my time on state parks any more.

Jim

Yes, if it's a good faith work in progress, the spot is "reserved" for a reasonable period of time.

Placing inactive cache pages every 528 feet in a popular park would not be in "good faith."

"I am working with the historical society on a complex multicache that will end with a container in this area once all the other work is finished" is a good faith situation. The same log from 2007 would not carry the same weight.

Speaking of which, leave a reviewer note on your page to explain what's going on with your disabled unpublished cache. Reviewers see these pages when checking nearby caches. Reading the explanation is a time-saver.

When I create a new cache page I tend to put a reviewer note like:

Draft last reviwed 16.06.09

Not in situe / Cache is in situe (as the case my be)

Followed by any other relevent info like if my cache is close to another I work it out on google earth (as I think that is what my main reviwer uses) or map source

and state the distance to the nearst cache, they will check anyway but it is in good faith to let them know that I have looked myself.

Then add any other relevent info, like explicet premision or to go into more detail if it is close to a location that might be questionable - not that I have needed to yet.

Not sure if this is the right format to use but my reviwers seem happy so far and I belive that more info is better than less in this case.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

"...a permit for a state forest cache placement can take from one to six months to obtain."

"You are kidding, right? OK, I know that you are not, but that is ridiculous. I would not hide a cache in such a situation."

Curious, why wouldn't you be willing to hide your cache and then wait for the permit to have the cache published? it's not like one to six months isn't going to pass whether your cache is waiting in the woods or not.

There are a couple of management agencies in Florida with weirdly responsive online permit applications. Response occasionally as fast as 5 working days, and as long as 5 months. Either way, eventually permit is issued, cache goes live, and all is good. I can see objecting to a fee system, but free? time is going to pass, either way.

Well at least he has an expectation of a response. I submitted a application April 2008 with the Washington State Parks. They said it will only be good until December 2008, but I could renew. I have yet to hear back. So I place my caches on a nearby tree farm. When I ask the forester about putting a cache there he said "Go for it". I'm not going to waste my time on state parks any more.

Jim

Wow! Expired before it started! That's like dying of old age before you were born. Makes my head hurt to think about it.

Thanks for that bit of advice. I am working on a series based on the history of my hometown. There is a bit of research involved so the project will take weeks to complete. I did send a note to a very prolific cache hider in the area, but I hadn't though of adding the reviewer note. Gonna leave the forums and take care of that right now.