Holes in my history

I just recently returned to geocaching after a pretty long hiatus. I've been caching on and off periodically since around 2001-2002 or so.

That said, I'm trying to figure out where some records of my finds are. I have three main periods of caching I know of (not including recent history)

Senior year of college/first year out of college (2001-2003, mostly the first bit of that) - At LEAST 10-20 caches near my home in central New Jersey, some on the route between NJ and Ithaca, NY, and a few in Ithaca, NY.

Family trip to Anza Borrego Desert State Park in California (2004)

Extended family trip to the Moab, UT area (2006)

Of those three, I can only find the records in my profile of the ABDSP finds (which are now all archived due to a change in ABDSP policy, but do still show up as finds on my profile)

I'm absolutely positive I logged the 2001-2003ish finds on the site. The Moab 2006 finds I may have forgotten, as I can't remember if we had internet connectivity in Moab (i.e. I may have planned to log stuff when I got home and forgot about it). Some of the caches involved were clearly archived - I found at least two in Goblin Valley State Park in Utah on the 2006 trip, and of the caches currently listed, only one has a publish date prior to 2007 and I'm pretty sure that was the one I didn't find.

Did I really forget to log THAT many caches, or are there cases where a change on the site could have wiped some of the older records of my finds?

It's not a huge deal, but it has aroused my curiosity.

Run the "My Finds" query at the bottom of the Pocket Query page - it will return all the finds you logged under your current ID number.

Your profile only shows 21 finds though.

You can go back and log the old finds if you still have the records - even the archived ones (you'll need to know the GC number to do that).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

If it were 2-3 caches I'd attribute it to an owner deleting your finds for one reason or another. , but that many, I doubt it.

I've never heard of the site just losing finds. If your smiley is on the cache page it should show up in your profile

My guess is that you either forgot to log, or logged under another account.

Almost certainly unrelated aside from the fact that both of you started caching in the very early years, but just in case there is more similarity than that, let me point you to the"currpted (sic) geocaching.com profile/deleting found caches?" thread in the Geocaching.Com Website forum

I started this account a few years ago, found a few caches, moved overseas and would like to start geocaching again. Oddly enough, my found caches have swtiched to caches I've never been to, while my logs are still correct. Is there any way I can delete the caches I haven't found, and then add the ones I have? Is this a common problem due to some software changes in the past few years?

Thanks.

Edited by knowschad

Run the "My Finds" query at the bottom of the Pocket Query page - it will return all the finds you logged under your current ID number.

Your profile only shows 21 finds though.

You can go back and log the old finds if you still have the records - even the archived ones (you'll need to know the GC number to do that).

I think I may still have the Moab trip records, I'm in the process of digging those up. Still have the laptop I went on that trip with, and the eMap is at my parents' home back in NJ.

I'm wondering if I simply forgot to log any caches for two entire periods of my history... I'm fairly certain I logged the original (2001ish) period though.

A mystery that will never be solved most likely...

(I have photographic evidence of myself and family members at two of the Goblin Valley caches - just need to find out their GCID.)

Edited by Entropy512

I just recently returned to geocaching after a pretty long hiatus. I've been caching on and off periodically since around 2001-2002 or so.

That said, I'm trying to figure out where some records of my finds are. I have three main periods of caching I know of (not including recent history)

Senior year of college/first year out of college (2001-2003, mostly the first bit of that) - At LEAST 10-20 caches near my home in central New Jersey, some on the route between NJ and Ithaca, NY, and a few in Ithaca, NY.

Just out of curiousity, was one of those finds in Ithaca a cache called "Star Girls"? There are only a handful of caches in Ithaca that were placed before 2003 and are still active and "Star Girls" is one of them (also Dogfish, Ithaca is Gorges, and Cachcadilla). From recent logs it looks like Star Girls could use some TLC and I may visit the cache soon to see what I can do. While I am there, and assuming the orginal logs are intact, I can take a look to see if your physical log is still there.

The Cachcadilla cache is actually disabled right now. It's located along a trail in a gorge (about .5 from me) that is closed during the winter and the trail is *still* not open to the public as last winter did a lot of damage to the trail.

Just out of curiousity, was one of those finds in Ithaca a cache called "Star Girls"? There are only a handful of caches in Ithaca that were placed before 2003 and are still active and "Star Girls" is one of them (also Dogfish, Ithaca is Gorges, and Cachcadilla). From recent logs it looks like Star Girls could use some TLC and I may visit the cache soon to see what I can do. While I am there, and assuming the orginal logs are intact, I can take a look to see if your physical log is still there.

The Cachcadilla cache is actually disabled right now. It's located along a trail in a gorge (about .5 from me) that is closed during the winter and the trail is *still* not open to the public as last winter did a lot of damage to the trail.

I can't remember which ones. I know I attempted Cachecadilla a few times over the past years at varying periods of time and failed each time - GPS reception down there is awful!

Great photo opportunities though.

I was actually planning on doing a caching trip to Ithaca in the next few weeks as I live 45 minutes away. So the missed finds there aren't a huge deal as I can probably redo them (except for archived ones). The Utah caches are a different story - I won't be back out there any time soon.