topo maps wanted for mac

jdawg7

Can someone send me a link or upload or email me something for the ibycus topo for mac. I would really like it and cant seem to find it any where. or even just another free topo map of canada.

(ps. I also downloaded what i thought was it "IbycusTopo21iso.zip" but i cant seem to get it working. any help with that would help to. thanks)

Essentially, you're correct. Someone else can provide a more technical explanation, I'm sure, but it has to do with the format, or how they're packaged, basically. Garmin has a Map Convert program that will take PC maps and make them into a format usable in Mac. The Mac maps are all ready to be installed into Garmin's RoadTrip software.

Having just bought a vista hcx (upgrade from my old geko), I spent the last week trying to figure this out. I was able to download the windows version, copy it to my junk pc running xp, then use Garmin's mapconverter software to export the windows version to a compressed version for the mac, then copied that back to my mac, and was able to install them on my mac using Mapinstall.

I downloaded the windows version using bittorrent, which is not anything I know anything about. I could look to see if I could seed the mac version back up, but I would rather not do that so if Oz or JDawg or anyone else has access to a windows machine, you could do this conversion too from the windows version you already have and then use it or host it that way.

Having just bought a vista hcx (upgrade from my old geko), I spent the last week trying to figure this out. I was able to download the windows version, copy it to my junk pc running xp, then use Garmin's mapconverter software to export the windows version to a compressed version for the mac, then copied that back to my mac, and was able to install them on my mac using Mapinstall.

I downloaded the windows version using bittorrent, which is not anything I know anything about. I could look to see if I could seed the mac version back up, but I would rather not do that so if Oz or JDawg or anyone else has access to a windows machine, you could do this conversion too from the windows version you already have and then use it or host it that way.

I may be able to help, have a few questions.

Is Mapinstall the Mac equivalent of Mapsource? Is the TGZ file that Mapconverter produces equivalent to a Windows EXE file? Do you simply click the TGZ in a Mac and the maps are automatically installed into Mapinstall? After that, does Mapinstall behave like Mapsource and you can view maps, load tracks and load maps to your GPS or card via USB?

I found this link on Garmin's website, the file size is comparable to Mapsource. Why does Garmin use Mapinstall and Mapmanager, what's the difference?

I am not sure what MapManager does or what it is for, but before you can install maps on the GPSr using a mac, you need to open them in MapManager and then "install" them, except installing them here means they then show up as maps in the application MapInstall, which is similar to Mapsource and is then used to view, select, and install the maps on the GPSr. I can't remember now, but they end up with a .gmapi extension, which may be after MapManager does its thing.

From the two files I have converted now (ibycus topo canada and new england topo part 1) which could only be found in windows version, Garmins MapConverter worked just fine. I downloaded the windows installer for the maps, installed them under windows, opened and converted them in MapConverter, and allowed MapConverter to compress it to a .tgz file. The .tgz archive file can then be copied over and expanded on the mac, processed through MapManager, and then installed using MapInstall.

So if someone (MtnHermit?) is willing to convert ibycus topo windows version and then put the compressed .tgz file up for a mac download, at least until ibycus comes back online, that would help mac users get access to these files. This is a huge 3 gb file, so it is not easy to host, download or copy.

I may be able to help, have a few questions.

Is Mapinstall the Mac equivalent of Mapsource? Is the TGZ file that Mapconverter produces equivalent to a Windows EXE file? Do you simply click the TGZ in a Mac and the maps are automatically installed into Mapinstall? After that, does Mapinstall behave like Mapsource and you can view maps, load tracks and load maps to your GPS or card via USB?

I found this link on Garmin's website, the file size is comparable to Mapsource. Why does Garmin use Mapinstall and Mapmanager, what's the difference?

1. No, MapInstall for Macintosh is the Mac version of MapInstall for Windows. Thankfully, there really isn't an equivalent to MapSource for OS X.

2. MapConverter can make both .gmapi and .tgz files. The .tgz is a compressed version of the .gmapi file, MapConverter will compress the .gmapi file to a .tgz file and then erase the .gmapi file if so desired.

3. MapInstall for Macintosh behaves just like the Windows version, It allows you to Install maps to your GPS or datacard, it doesn't do tracks or waypoints. This is done with either RoadTrip or BaseCamp.

I am not sure what MapManager does or what it is for, but before you can install maps on the GPSr using a mac, you need to open them in MapManager and then "install" them, except installing them here means they then show up as maps in the application MapInstall, which is similar to Mapsource and is then used to view, select, and install the maps on the GPSr. I can't remember now, but they end up with a .gmapi extension, which may be after MapManager does its thing.

MapManager is the map management software that takes a .gmapi format map file and installs in into the correct place for use in RoadTrip, MapInstall or BaseCamp. It also saves that file as a .gmap format file, and will place unlock codes in the correct place. I find that the path it uses doesn't allow other logins on you Mac to be able to use the maps, and I find that I generally have to manually place the maps in the correct location to adjust for this flaw in the software.

Edited by coggins