Delorme's Cache Register app

We purchased Delorme’s Cache Register application last night.

I installed the PC version on my laptop last night. Must have been a huge file, because it took over an hour to install. We finally ended up leaving it running and going to bed, but when I got up this morning, there it was!

I had written a pocket query last night, and the app was slick as anything! It smoothly transferred some 200+ caches to the PN-40. I need to remember in the future to uncheck "submit field notes to geocaching.com" as it transferred all of the "found" caches as field notes. That caused a ton of messages to pop up on my Twitter and Facebook status.

When I plugged in the PN-20 to transfer the caches, a firmware update was needed. So that slowed things down, but when I left for work, it was plugging away on uploading the caches.

A good $10 investment!

Melissa (PS - I was late for work!)

OT Q: I know the textmarks SMS -> field notes -> twitter / FB route, but are you saying that you've got your field notes to somehow link to your twitter status just be uploading them to gc.com?

Maingray, that's right. I actually like the feature.

When I've found a cache, I post a field note using the Geocaching app from my iPhone. It goes to Twitter even before I've "finalized" the field note at geocaching.com. Twitter, in turn, updates my Facebook status.

Then my friends roll their eyes and say, "Don't you ever do anything other than geocaching?" :D

Melissa

I love this program as it saves me a lot of time because I can instantly upload/remove queries to my PN-40. If you have any problems installing it, check the Delorme site. I had to update my computer with a few files from Microsoft. After that, it loaded fine.

Falstaff

OT Q: I know the textmarks SMS -> field notes -> twitter / FB route, but are you saying that you've got your field notes to somehow link to your twitter status just be uploading them to gc.com?

If you do the textmarks SMS -> field notes -> twitter / FB route, it will post to Twitter when you upload the field notes from Cache Register. I was a bit surprised when that happened and glad I only had 7 finds! That didn't happen when you logged into geocaching.com and uploaded the field notes that way.

There is also a 'native' Macintosh (intel only) 'Cache Register' widget for the dashboard, works quite well.

'Send to GPS' also has a Macintosh/Safari native app. version. I'm not certain if the Send2G is intel only.

Send to GPS works for Firefox3 on MacOS as well.

If you do the textmarks SMS -> field notes -> twitter / FB route, it will post to Twitter when you upload the field notes from Cache Register. I was a bit surprised when that happened and glad I only had 7 finds! That didn't happen when you logged into geocaching.com and uploaded the field notes that way.

Interesting, and that's what I thought the OP was meaning. I hope that's an option you can turn off.