Deleting "found" caches from a Colorado 300

To delete a waypoint is a pain:

- Select "Where To?", then Waypoints

- Scroll down to the waypoint in the list

- Press centre button

- Press left button for "Options"

- Scroll down to "Edit Waypoint" (if you're deleting more than one, you won't have to do this one step next time)

- Press centre button

- Press left button for "Options" (again)

- List should be on "Delete Waypoint" already; if not, scroll up to it

- Press centre button

- When asked "Do you really want to delete waypoint <name>", scroll down to Yes and press centre button.

Easy, huh? :P

To delete all waypoints, use Shortcuts - Others - Waypoint Manager - Options - Delete All Waypoints.

For found caches, yes, you need to delete the GPX files which contain them. This is why GSAK is a good idea even with a Colorado, as after each caching trip you can generate a new GPX file with caches which you *still* haven't found, and use that to replace your existing GPX files in the unit.

For found caches, yes, you need to delete the GPX files which contain them. This is why GSAK is a good idea even with a Colorado, as after each caching trip you can generate a new GPX file with caches which you *still* haven't found, and use that to replace your existing GPX files in the unit.

How do I do that then? [dim] Does it get replaced every time I load a new file from GSAK and I simply haven't noticed? I'm feeling particularly stupid - I'm going to blame the lack of a proper manual. :P

How do I do that then? [dim] Does it get replaced every time I load a new file from GSAK and I simply haven't noticed? I'm feeling particularly stupid - I'm going to blame the lack of a proper manual. :P

Hi All

I have had my colorado for about a year and so far i have not found the need for any other software other than that supplied.

i use windows explorer to delete and add gpx pocket queries and clear and clean the drive.

When you plug the gps in you should get 2 pop up boxes, close these! This maybe unnecesary.

then open up windows explorer, my computer and the the drive (Garmin Colorado/ E) on my PC, Double click this and it will open up the drive.

This will give you 3 files, Garmin ,Autorun and Wherigo

the Wherigo is where the files for this activity are kept! But thats another story!

Click on the Garmin file, this will produce 4 files GPX, the others leave alone the machine needs them!

also if you use field notes these are stored in GEOCACHE VISITS text doc, you will need to open this file and delete the contents every now and then. but not the file!

just highlight the list and press the delete key.

Back to the gpx files

Open the GPX folder . This is where your gpx files are stored.

If you placed them in here as a pocket queiry then you will have one large file, but if you used the SEND TO GPS option from Groundspeak you will have up to 200 files ( which is the limit for the colorado ). These you will need to highlight and delete as required but be sure to leave the main files intact.

To delete the pocket quiery delete the corresponding numbered file for the last one you added.

Tip: The Colorado only holds 200 gpx files! however there is not a limit to the size ( I Think) so you can load 200 indevidual caches or 200 pocket quieries off 500 caches which =100,000 caches .

i have a weekly regime that i delete all way pionts and caches(GPX files) and reload for the weekend

Delete the waypoints via the waypoint manager on the gps as described earlier.

this normally takes only a couple of minutes and keeps the gps fom getting clogged up.

hope this helps

Peter

That depends how you are sending the files to the GPS. Try opening \Garmin\GPX in Windows and look at the dates on the various files before and after you send data to the unit.

There's a limit of 2000 caches.
Isnt that for the oregon, mine always maxed out at about 200

There's a distinction between caches and GPX files. A GPX file downloaded from a cache page contains one cache, from a PQ it can have up to 500, and if GSAK is making the file it could have thousands. I don't know what the formal limit is on the number of caches, but I've noticed that with more than about 2000 caches total in all the GPX files together on the Colorado, bad things happen.

Edited by sTeamTraen

There's a distinction between caches and GPX files. A GPX file downloaded from a cache page contains one cache, from a PQ it can have up to 500, and if GSAK is making the file it could have thousands. I don't know what the formal limit is on the number of caches, but I've noticed that with more than about 2000 caches total in all the GPX files together on the Colorado, bad things happen.

I must admit the most i have had on in one go is 1000, 2 pocket queiries.

so you may well be right .

i am sure thats enough for most cachers :rolleyes:

sTreamTraen is correct about the 2000 limit in a GPX file, very strange things happen!!! :lol:

Quite often I have multiple GPX files which I import into a single GSAK "database" and then create one "large" GPX file and download it to the C300.

I tried to find a cache in S Wales today, cache in small wood on a hill in open country side, so "obvious" location. Working very close to the cache but the C300 was pointing away from the obvious cache location. C300 was showing I was 150m away which put me in the middle of a field. ;)

Got my 60Csx out, which I usually use for navigation, because the 300C will not output NMEA/USB data. Plugged the co-ords into the 60CSx and found the cache in a few minutes but 300C was still showing I was 150m from GZ. :rolleyes:

Deleted the "large" GPX file from the C300 and loaded just the local GPX file (500 caches only) back in my van. C300 then "pointed" straight towards the cache, I walked towards the cache and would have found without issue. :):laughing:

Cache I was trying to find was called "Out of Africa" for you S Wales cachers.

Deleted the "large" GPX file from the C300 and loaded just the local GPX file (500 caches only) back in my van. C300 then "pointed" straight towards the cache, I walked towards the cache and would have found without issue. :rolleyes::)

That could be unrelated: I've seen the Colorado occasionally go 100m out with a clear view of the whole sky, and a reboot - which you presumably did to tweak the GPX files - fixed it. By "bad things happen" I meant "the stupid machine locks up at boot, dead as a doornail" :laughing:

Deleted the "large" GPX file from the C300 and loaded just the local GPX file (500 caches only) back in my van. C300 then "pointed" straight towards the cache, I walked towards the cache and would have found without issue. :):anibad:

That could be unrelated: I've seen the Colorado occasionally go 100m out with a clear view of the whole sky, and a reboot - which you presumably did to tweak the GPX files - fixed it. By "bad things happen" I meant "the stupid machine locks up at boot, dead as a doornail" :anibad:

Hi

i recently had problems with mine where it would die on boot up and would take numerous attempts to get it past the loading map screen!

if you have an older model and the battery compartment seems stiffer than it should do, check the rubber gasket is not pulling out as you close it. If it is contact garmin uk, i did and they replaced my gps with a new one after i sent the old one back.

the new seems fine and has only frozen once in 3 weeks its been back. rather than the 2 or 3 times in every few hours.

hope this helps

I'm on my third C300 in nine months!!!

Yes have had the "freeze" on boot-up problem many times, take the batteries out and try again.

Turning OFF the track log seems to help. If you use Garmin TOPO keep the map size loaded "small" (under 50M) or be prepared for a LONG WAIT!!!

I assume that every cache loaded, via a GPX, is a waypoint??

Nick