Garmin eTrex H

duck & dive

Hi, Names Brian and I have today just purchased a Garmin Etrex H to start my Geocaching.

Please can you advise me (1) Hopehully I have bought the right one. (2) the lead requied if preferred .. to go between computer and GPS, can you advise me were I can obtain one. Many thanks

Hi Brian!

An Etrex H is a great stater gps. You probably won't be disappointed.

By lead do you mean cable? If so the garmin units all use the usb mini-b type plug. You can get them at any place that sells cameras, or other electronics. Just take it in, hand it to the guy, and say "I need this sort of cable!" Works every time.

Hi, Names Brian and I have today just purchased a Garmin Etrex H to start my Geocaching.

Please can you advise me (1) Hopehully I have bought the right one. (2) the lead requied if preferred .. to go between computer and GPS, can you advise me were I can obtain one. Many thanks

Brian, you can find leads for the eTrex H here: http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml

There will be links to distribution in your area.

The Garmin eTrexH (link)

has a serial (not USB) interface and you will need this cable (link)

By chance does anyone know if it is Vista compatible? I bought a new laptop over the winter and just realized that my trusty Belkin RS232 to USB adapter isn't Vista compatible.

So as far as I can see - my options are:

1) Use a computer that's running XP - which means $$$ since all three of ours run Vista

2) Buy a new GPS - although tempting is just not what I really want to do

3) Go back to printing out everything instead of downloading coordinates into my eTrex Legend

4) Figure out what cable is going to work the first time around that doesn't cost more than a GPS that comes with a Vista compatible cable.

The Garmin eTrexH (link)

has a serial (not USB) interface and you will need this cable (link)

By chance does anyone know if it is Vista compatible? I bought a new laptop over the winter and just realized that my trusty Belkin RS232 to USB adapter isn't Vista compatible.

So as far as I can see - my options are:

1) Use a computer that's running XP - which means $$$ since all three of ours run Vista

2) Buy a new GPS - although tempting is just not what I really want to do

3) Go back to printing out everything instead of downloading coordinates into my eTrex Legend

4) Figure out what cable is going to work the first time around that doesn't cost more than a GPS that comes with a Vista compatible cable.

Yep! I just got an Etrex Venture HC that works perfectly with my Vista machine!

We have that same GPS and enjoy it. It super easy to use and read. We optained a serial port cable for uploading coords for ours from Amazon.com. I don't remember how much it was right off the top of my head, but it was less than off the Garmin web site. They make adapter for this too for usb ports but then that another 10-20 bucks. enjoy!

Hey Brian, I just received this GPS also. Mine came with the cable. I'm having trouble downloading the driver and software to transfer the geocache locations to my GPS from this website. Does anyone know a secret to this? . . . or can you advise?

I'm excited about using my GPS for geocaching. It just takes me a while to work out all the computer/networking kind of things. I feel positive that we made the best purchase.

Amy

Hey Brian, I just received this GPS also. Mine came with the cable. I'm having trouble downloading the driver and software to transfer the geocache locations to my GPS from this website. Does anyone know a secret to this? . . . or can you advise?

I'm excited about using my GPS for geocaching. It just takes me a while to work out all the computer/networking kind of things. I feel positive that we made the best purchase.

Amy

What OS - XP or Vista?

What browser Internet Explorer/Firefox/something else?

Is it IE6 ? Update to IE7, there have been issues recently.

Amy

What OS - XP or Vista?

What browser Internet Explorer/Firefox/something else?

Is it IE6 ? Update to IE7, there have been issues recently.

Thank you so much for your help.

Question 1 - Vista

Question 2 - Internet Explorer via roadrunner cable service

Question 3 - :D Sorry I don't know what IE6/IE7 is.

Thanks again