Oregon power cord

Well I recieved my Oregon 400t and I'm liking it sofar. BUT, I now see what people were complaining about the plug on the auto power cord. Did a quick search, but did not find anything on this topic (I'm sure that there is something, but I can't find it). Has anyone found an adapter or another solution?

Thanks

Tom

It's the offical Garmin one. It has an "L" small end on the cord. The "L" is what is keeping it from plugging in all of the way. Thought I might be able to buy an adapter that would plug into the Oregon, and then the cord could plug in that. Have read that I can buy a phone cord with the straight end, but I'm thinking since I already have this one that an adapter might be cheaper.

I also have an Oregon and have been looking at car mounts. I read somewhere that the cables for the CO and OR are very similar but that the CO cord doesn't work in the OR due to the length of the "L" end. Apparently the OR version is slightly longer so that it seats properly.

Sounds like you have a Colorado/Nuvi cable.

The Oregon has a special cable not used by other units.

I just took an older l shaped auto adapter from a different Garmin and bent it, put some shrink wrap black tubing on it and now I have a seriously easy to use auto adapter instead of the lame L shape... I made two of them and they work great... just BEND SLOWLY with two pliers and you get like a 70-80 degree addition to it and its all good.

Edited by Strike Anywhere

It's the offical Garmin one. It has an "L" small end on the cord. The "L" is what is keeping it from plugging in all of the way. Thought I might be able to buy an adapter that would plug into the Oregon, and then the cord could plug in that. Have read that I can buy a phone cord with the straight end, but I'm thinking since I already have this one that an adapter might be cheaper.

i tried useing the adapter from my NUVI in my oregon 400t and i had the same problem. Because of the "L" shape on the adapter. I use the adapter from my Blackberry on the oregon and it works fine. So a phone adapter with should work fine on it (IMO)

Easy Solution:

Visit your local China-Mart (Chinarget, etc.) Visit the electronics section and find an auto charger for a motorola that uses the microUSB (aka. miniUSB) plug. This charger will work fine with your Oregon 400t. Just make sure you do as the 2nd post mentions and set your interface to spanner and choose an adapter that has a straight plug (not a right angle plug).

I've been using a Verizon branded one designed to be used with a Blackberry and it works fine. You just have to touch the NO button on the screen when plugging it in to say NO - Do not go to usb mass storage mode.

Should be a $10 or less solution.

When I plug the USB cord into the PC, the Oregon screen shows the PC connection graphic.

If I use a power cord in a car, is this graphic gone and the 400t still usable?

Can the 400t be used to send GPS position data to a laptop this way too, while moving?

You need to put the unit into "Spanner" mode in the setup. When it is like that you will get a screen asking if you want to co into mass storage mode or not.

And yes, the unit can send GPS data to a computer when connected in this fashion.

You need to put the unit into "Spanner" mode in the setup. When it is like that you will get a screen asking if you want to co into mass storage mode or not.

And yes, the unit can send GPS data to a computer when connected in this fashion.

thanks!

Strike Anywhere, I tried your idea, but with the "L" shaped in that came on the cord. I cut a slight curve in the top and bottom right at the offset by the metal plug. I then took two pairs of pliers and started putting a reverse bend on the plug. Heated it a little at a time with a lighter until I had about a 45 degree reverse angle. Tried it with no problems.

Strike Anywhere, I tried your idea, but with the "L" shaped in that came on the cord. I cut a slight curve in the top and bottom right at the offset by the metal plug. I then took two pairs of pliers and started putting a reverse bend on the plug. Heated it a little at a time with a lighter until I had about a 45 degree reverse angle. Tried it with no problems.

I'd be worried that a modified connector, especially heated and bent in this manner, could short or have some sort of problem.

Granted, it may be a long shot of something happening that could damage the unit but lets face it. These are $350 units at a minimum, and most of us paid more than that (I've got around $400 in mine). I would hate for a short in a modified cable on a $5.00 charging cable kill my $400 Oregon. Just me but I'd seek out a cable that fits properly - there are tons out there designed for various cell phones, or use the cable that came with the unit with a 12v to USB connector as suggested by another poster.