Oregon not seeing caches

I've been loading caches onto my Oregon 300 (2.98beta) via GSAK and I've tried putting it on the internal memory and on the microSD card. Either way, the GPX file is there, but about half the time when I power on the unit it says no geocaches are loaded, power cycling doesn't help, but if I delete the GPX and re-install it, the unit usually shows the caches.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I've been loading caches onto my Oregon 300 (2.98beta) via GSAK and I've tried putting it on the internal memory and on the microSD card. Either way, the GPX file is there, but about half the time when I power on the unit it says no geocaches are loaded, power cycling doesn't help, but if I delete the GPX and re-install it, the unit usually shows the caches.

As long as you are placing the files in the /Garmin/GPX folder you should not have any problems with them. Where are your GPX files coming from? If from Groundspeak, are you putting the GPX files or the ZIP files on the GPSr? I only place the GPX files and have no problems with them. If the files are generated out of GSAK or some other program, make sure that they are properly formatted. A corrupt GPX file could cause what you are seeing. Along the same lines, just unplugging the GPSr from the USB cable without doing a "eject" or "safely remove" option, you could be corrupting the GPX file on the device without realizing that you are doing it to yourself.

As long as you are placing the files in the /Garmin/GPX folder you should not have any problems with them. Where are your GPX files coming from? If from Groundspeak, are you putting the GPX files or the ZIP files on the GPSr? I only place the GPX files and have no problems with them. If the files are generated out of GSAK or some other program, make sure that they are properly formatted. A corrupt GPX file could cause what you are seeing. Along the same lines, just unplugging the GPSr from the USB cable without doing a "eject" or "safely remove" option, you could be corrupting the GPX file on the device without realizing that you are doing it to yourself.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm generating the GPX files in GSAK but the same thing happens whether I use a macro to export it directly to the unit or I export a GPX to the desktop and drag it over to the unit. The odd thing is that the second time I do it, it almost always works. The same GPX files work fine on my 60Csx. I've also been careful to use the 'Safely remove hardware' button in windows (XP)

How big is the gpx file you are exporting? How many logs per geocache?

I've been exporting about 1900 caches in just 1 file and 10 logs per geocache (10.8 MB), with no other GPX files on the unit.

Last night I tried a new GSAK macro and so far the problem hasn't appeared. The new macro also allows the option for a larger font when displaying the cache description (Yay!) so if the macro writer can do it, maybe Garmin put that to the list of helpful features to add.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry77391

Edited by Triple Crown

How big is the gpx file you are exporting? How many logs per geocache?

I've been exporting about 1900 caches in just 1 file and 10 logs per geocache (10.8 MB), with no other GPX files on the unit.

Last night I tried a new GSAK macro and so far the problem hasn't appeared. The new macro also allows the option for a larger font when displaying the cache description (Yay!) so if the macro writer can do it, maybe Garmin put that to the list of helpful features to add.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry77391

Mine does something similar, I've been using the GSAK macro since I got it in November. I have somewhere between 1700-1800 in my default database. I can pretty much tell right away when it's not going to load because it never gets to the main screen. I have to shut if off, sometimes by pulling the batteries. Next load it works fine. I know it and never leave the house without checking.

BTW, I also use 10 logs. The first time I tried more it took way to long for the cache page to open.

Two suggestions:

- Are there any other gpx files in \Garmin\GPX on the unit? If so, you might want to remove all files in that directory, reboot once without any gpx files and then reload your gpx file. This purges everything internally in case there is some cruft hanging around from a previous bad load.

- Try reducing the file size by knocking down the number of logs per file. I've heard people complain about large GPX files (usually with >5 logs/cache) not loading properly. PQ's contain 5 logs per cache so I usually stick with that given this is probably what Garmin tests against.

Two suggestions:

- Are there any other gpx files in \Garmin\GPX on the unit? If so, you might want to remove all files in that directory, reboot once without any gpx files and then reload your gpx file. This purges everything internally in case there is some cruft hanging around from a previous bad load.

- Try reducing the file size by knocking down the number of logs per file. I've heard people complain about large GPX files (usually with >5 logs/cache) not loading properly. PQ's contain 5 logs per cache so I usually stick with that given this is probably what Garmin tests against.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try both of them the next time I load the GPSr.