Reasonable Liar's Cache Ideas -- i searched!

Hey all,

I did a search for Liar's caches and came up with some interesting threads but none addressed the issue about which I was hoping to plumb some of the creativity/experience of the people on these forums. This wouldn't be an ALR but something like a little tearoff stub (perhaps!) that people could take and riff off of.

I would like to make a liar's cache but have a few concerns/ideas about how I think the cache could be a neat, non-disappointing cache:

1) I would like for it to be something that neither gives away the nature of the cache nor entices people to organize trips just to visit the cache so that they would be disappointed with being let in on the secret.

2) I would like the "lie" to be something with which people can be creative yet for those who would be intimidated by the idea of composing a creative log accessible (perhaps guided) as well.

3) I would like for the logs to be fairly consistent in terms of content but not so much that a potential cacher would have any pre-expectations about what he or she would see when at the cache location. (and consequent disappointment when the cache doesn't contain bigfoot or tom hanks)

I have several absolutely scenic and beautiful ideas identified for this cache so it won't just be a lock'n'lock thrown into a bush -- it will be a great spot to cache. Another idea I have kicking around is one regarding famous movies filmed in this town. I envision this as a multicache involving visiting various filming locations but was thinking that it could be incorporated into the liars idea such as each log could (if they wanted) mention a movie star from the movie they ran into doing a trip down memory lane (definitely needs refinement). (hope none of the local cachers lurk here.... never seen anyone post but it would be a shame to ruin it for potential lurkers!)

So there is the idea of one combo cache or two (one multi movie cache and one liar's cache). As for the logistics of the liar's cache. I would really like to provide ideas for the cache and have them be accessible. I was thinking about a cover note with some tear off (apartment/concert/party/etc-style) suggestion tabs stapled with a cover sheet to the cover of the logbook.

Any suggestions on implementing this and also implementing a variety of ideas? Perhaps there is a board game that I don't know that I could include some aspect of the cards into the lies?

Just hoping for idea bounces here. If you don't like the idea of liar's caches or don't have a positive contribution to the thread, of course I can't stop you from posting but would really prefer that this (probably short!) thread be positive and directed to the idea of providing a unique and positive experience for all finders...

Thanks!

mrbort

This one is a cool concept:

BTW- I know of a cache that's written up as a hard micro in the woods. B):D:(

When you get there it's a 2.5 gallon commercial condiment container painted dayglow orange and placed at eye level. Inside are instructions to spin a tale about your frustrating hunt for such a tiny cache..... FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN!!! :huh:

;):P:):D:D

Take a peek at mine - I don't over do it - but read the logs - very creative (most - not all play along).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4f-e2fcfcf0531c

Once visitors arrive - I assign them a "liar" topic to include with thier log entry - again, if you read the logs - you will get the idea.

Thanks Starbrand :( I've bookmarked that one for some future perusal of the logs :D Looks like it really is a good one in not making people think that they're getting too much but also inspiring creative logs B)

Thanks Snoogans for posting a cool idea while I was posting :o I like it and if I had any idea how to pull that off (or the $$) I would be game :laughing:

Go to a restaurant and ask if you can have one of their empty mayonnaise containers. Or go dumpster diving. Any number of places to get cheap or free large containers.

(insert obligatory flaming discussion about using food containers as cache containers)

Then buy a can of day-glow orange paint. You're done except for hiding.

Oh, and don't forget that caches with "Additional Logging Requirements" are no longer allowed per the guideline revision of last month. Caches that require lies in the logs are not allowed. You can request that cachers lie, but you cannot delete the logs of those who choose to not participate.

However, in this situation, telling the truth (describing the cache) could be seen as a spoiler, so you could probably justify a log deletion.

I am aware of the ALR issue and would certainly not delete logs that did not participate.... Im cooking up something where participation would be part of the fun but if people want to write "TNLN" then that's fine. Ideally, even if someone "outs" the cache, it would still be an enjoyable experience for people. I don't want people to go with wild expectations based on the logs and be disappointed but rather for them to read the logs, be curious and get a grin on their face when they discover the reason :o

I had someone log one of my caches in a way that made me think that THEY THOUGHT it was a liar's cache, and that they had never actually found it, but thought the idea was to just make up a wild story and log a find. The cache is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d2-a8034026c1bf His log mentions aliens and everything. Perhaps he doesn't believe that people are willing to do that for a cache? I never did check for his name in the logbook. Maybe next time I go I will check.

I had someone log one of my caches in a way that made me think that THEY THOUGHT it was a liar's cache, and that they had never actually found it, but thought the idea was to just make up a wild story and log a find. The cache is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d2-a8034026c1bf His log mentions aliens and everything. Perhaps he doesn't believe that people are willing to do that for a cache? I never did check for his name in the logbook. Maybe next time I go I will check.

That is interesting! The cacher that posted that log also dropped a coin in the cache. He is a fairly regular forum poster, and even has some entries in the "Is there cheating in geocaching" thread. Doesn't sound to me like one who would knowingly log a false find.

He found one other nearby cache that same day, but much easier. I'm actually wondering if he accidentally logged (and dropped the coin) in the wrong cache?

Edited by knowschad

Perhaps you should read the logbook before you make up an incredible story about someone not finding your cache. Nice hide BTW.

:laughing::wacko:<_<

I'll be sure to file your forum post in with my report to the head "grey".

B)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Perhaps you should read the logbook before you make up an incredible story about someone not finding your cache. Nice hide BTW.

:laughing::wacko:<_<

B)

But the question remains... why did you post that log about the aliens?

Ok, I admit it.

All current UFO sightings, and alien grey reports are actually part of a vast governmental hoax perpertrated in the case that someone may eventually find the 5000+ year old flying saucer, and may need that idea spread to make everyone believe that "they", or something with superior intelligense was still visiting. :laughing:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

:blink::):P

:P

Like I said I meant to read the logbook, But as you can see I've only been there twice since then and I forgot both times. It's not exactly a high-maintenance cache. Things move slow for Acrophobia, I am going to actually request that the next group going through clear out all travelers, and only "dip" new travelers, because it is somewhat of a travel bug prison.

Never meant to strongly imply that you were a liar, as I said, your post made me initially suspect that you thought it was a liar's cache.