Help on geocaching and GPS please

Ok, I was just introduced to Geocaching a week or so ago and it has been fun running around with a couple of friends and some of the kids. However we have been using my friends iPhone for the GPS and it seems really to do a nice job with everything. I have been looking into getting a gps for this and information seems quite scattered for the geocaching. From working with the iPhone the paperless geocaching, GPS receiver, and electronic compass are all about a must have I think. Please let me know if any of my information is wrong here and/or if you can add anything to help with my decisions.

Paperless Geocaching - Available on the Garmin Oregon, Colorado, and Nuvi 500(Nuvi does not have compass?). Any other models do this? Magellan Triton maybe does but only to 50 charactors? (Drops the rest off?)

How else would you geocache with the descriptions? Paper notebook? Is there efficient ways to get descriptions to say a Palm Pilot or PDA?

Without a electronic compass do people take a normal compass or just use map mode while changing directions to get to the cache areas?

On GPS receivers...To decide which to buy...

Oregon is basically the touchscreen version of the Colorado(Havent seen either)? (I know there are some other differences but that is about the largest difference I saw in the specifications for a geocaching and general purpose GPS, Basic roadmaps are extra cost on both units)

Nuvi (Haven't actually had one to look at) seems very cheap in features and durability in comparison to the Oregon/Colorado and give lots more driving features that would not be a large interest for me. Like turn by turn directions with speech and those kind of things.

iPhone seems to do all of this as does the Oregon and Colorado. Plus or Minus the extra options of the phone itself. I dont think I would trust the phone in the backwoods of the mountains but it appears to do alot of the other stuff fairly decently and is probably cheaper than the GPS units for some time with the monthly costs of added phone bill service. Big down side is that my wife and kids couldnt go with out me or my phone.

Thanks in advance and hopefully someone can broaden my options here.

Temian

Lots of ways to carry cache listing info with you on a PPC or Palm - check out cachemate from smittyware for starters - also look at the resource page off of the site's home page.

Compass - I have an electronic compass on my watch but usually just use the compass on my GPS that is correct as long as I am moving. I turn off the built-in electronic GPS on my Colorado 300 - useless in my eyes but many love them.

The Oregon series is touchscreen, The Colorado has what is known as a Rock-n-Roller wheel. Most Geocachers perfer the Oregon. I really like my Oregon 200 because the touchscreen interface is amazing but my "goto" unit is the Colorado for its accuracy and ruggedness.

Iphone is not rugged enough to survive a few drops of water let alone a drop into a mud puddle on the trail - don't really consider it for trail use.

The Nuvi 500 series is ruggedized for trail use and has many of the same features of the Colorado and Oregon but is awkward to hold and has propritary batteries. All other Nuvi lines can be used but are not the right tool for trail use as they are not rugged.

Consider the new Lowrance Endura Series - they are not out quite yet and no reviews but when they come out in June - they look like great Geocaching units.

I've loved my Oregon 400t. It has all the necessities to do paperless geocaching, electronic compass, and won't croak if you drop it in a shallow creek or mud puddle (IPX7 Water Proof).

While I love it I'll mention that there are some minor issues to consider before jumping on the Oregon.

Some think the screen is difficult to read. I don't have any issue with it. I think its fine for Geocaching, in car navigation, in sun or shade. I could see potential for readability issues for motorcycles or bicycles since it's more difficult to adjust the unit when on handle bar mounts.

It's on the expensive end of the spectrum. At first I immediately laughed at the Oregon because of the $599.00 list price. I soon found that I could get it for closer to $400 net price after rebate, and soon after that REI had it for $349 after the rebate (although that deal has expired). Even at $350 it's on the pricey side - but my intention was to have a single device for geocaching. The 500 and 550 Oregon will also sport a camera due out in June.

Finally some still have issue with accuracy. I didn't see this being an issue since the Oregon is still undergoing tweaking of the software by the Garmin developers. I just loaded the latest beta (2.98b) and it has so far proved to be much better accuracy wise. I expect more improvements in the future.

I'm brand loyal when it comes to some things. My GPS has been one of those. My first GPSr was an eTrex Legend (also a Garmin) and I still have it and it works like a charm (for what it is). I feel Garmin builds one of the best hand held / trail use GSSrs on the market.

That said - I think you can also trust StarBrands recommendation. I'm not familiar with Lowrance equipment but they've been in the buisness for years as well. Certainly worth a look.

Best of luck -

There are also programs like MacCaching that can put cache descriptions, hints, and recent logs into the notes section of an iPod. That mght be a way of paperless caching.

I have my iPod loaded up to use with my Garmin 60csx, which works, if you don't mind using 2 devices. If you go with the iPod, you can also go cheaper on the GPS; the high sensitivity Garmin eTrex line are popular up here, and they get the job done.

I carry my iPhone with me, even on the trail, and I do have the geocaching app on it, and that works, but I don't like the GPS feature very much because I can't get the accuracy I'm used to.

I just got a Garmin Oregon 400t, and it's pretty fantastic. I get good accuracy, and I have the info I need. When you consider that the maps are included, it's not much more expensive than a 60csx.

The DeLorme PN-40 would be great for you...paperless, auto-routes and all the maps come right in the box and for a lot cheaper than the Oregon or Colorado.

Paperless means it not only stores the cache info (all of it including description, hints, logs etc), but also will allow you to log your find as a field note which means no more looking up which cache you found...it does it for you and keeps track of the ones you haven't logged at GC.com. Paperless caching is SWEET and DeLorme makes it easy as well!

Routing is included in the box since you get all the maps you need...but you can also buy more maps via subscription ($30/year). Maps such as aerial imagery, sat imagery 24k topo, NOAA charts and even hi-res city aerials can be loaded into the PN-40, giving you more tools to use when caching, hiking, boating etc.

Electronic compass means it works even when standing still. The PN-40 boasts the electronic compass and I've heard some praise it as being the best in the market (this is opinion found on the forums, ymmv).

Cons of the PN-40 are battery life (which can be as high as 11 hours using the Duracell green rechargeables), a smaller screen and it's newer meaning it still has a few bugs which are being improved upon quickly!

Pros of the PN-40...besides what's already stated are customer service which is TOP-NOTCH, DeLorme's participation in these forums as well as their own meaning questions are often answered by people who KNOW and of course, the price!

I am a PN-40 owner and I endorse this message! :o

I have an Oregon, and my wife has a Colorado. I got them specifically because they are made for caching. Prior to that, I used my Palm Pilot. That was fine, except for the fact that it isn't waterproof, shockproof, or very reliable. I used CacheMate on it, and it worked well, though the built-in caching appliances work better in the GPS.