Listing Guidelines

Recently a cacher in my family was not allowed to publish a cache on a small bridge on a frontage road because of the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines "Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

I totally get the reason for this and certainly don't want a bomb scare or anything like that.

However...since then there have been multiple new caches placed on bridges in the area. I won't go into how many bridge caches where posted before this case (grandfathered and all) but I really don't understand why these new caches were allowed, they are all on much bigger, important bridges in populated areas. I don't want anyone to loose their cache, I just want to understand. Thanks!

You are much better off discussing these things with the reviewer than bringing them to the forums. The reviewer can tell you in person what the specific issues are and forums members can only speculate.

Also- keep in mind this from the guidelines:

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches.

Recently a cacher in my family was not allowed to publish a cache on a small bridge on a frontage road because of the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines "Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."...

That's your issue. There is judgment on the part of the reviewer as to when a cache under a bridge is under a bridge of sufficient size to warrant the restriction.

For my part any local road, pedestrian bridge etc. should be fine. Any road that's considered an arterial or highway, No way, ever. Collectors...I'm unsure. But again it comes back to your reviewer.

It depends. Mostly on reviewer knowledge of an area, somewhat on available arial photography, somewhat on available maps,a little on listing descriptions and cacher reputation. Changes from area, to area as well. They (the reviewers) can only act on what they actually know about.

I think we can all agree that a bridge over a busy Interstate is forbidden. But how about over a state 2 lane highway? a rural dirt road bridge over a local stream? A walkway over a city street? Thats where some amount of opinion, local custom and etc come into play.

Ask the reviewer about any specific cache and you might learn they didn't know about the bridge - or that specific permission was obtained. Don't be quick to jump to conclusions.

I think we can all agree that a bridge over a busy Interstate is forbidden.

Just for the sake of causing angst and discord, I think I'll disagree :)

What type of bridge over the interstate are we talking about? If the bridge is another busy interstate, then of course not. What about one of those pedestrian bridges lined with chain link? What about those wide "bridges" over the 440 in Nashville that have grass on top?

Edited by DavidMac