GPX to HTML conversion

Hello my fellow cachers,

I'd like to draw attention to a new piece of software I have written to convert GPX files to multiple HTML files, which is an ideal way to use a GPS and HTML-enabled smartphone or PDA for paperless caching.

When in the field a single huge HTML file containing numerous caches is slow to scroll through and, if you log caches along the way using your phone, it can then take a long time to reload the HTML file, especially if it has numerous inline images. For those with limited data packages, or in areas of limited mobile coverage, this renders the solution highly undesirable. WAP access is great up to a point but loses the inline images, which are sometimes crucial to finding a cache.

This new application creates individual HTML files, one for each cache. The most recent logs are stored in a separate file, and all inline images are downloaded and stored locally. This means that each cache page is just a couple of kilobytes and can be quickly and easily loaded. Because images are stored locally it means you don't need to have any internet access at all to load the files - this means they can be accessed on a PDA with no internet capabilities, and if accessed via a smartphone it keeps data costs down and can still be used in areas with limited mobile coverage.

It also offers a number of other features, such as :

Merging of both GPX files included in pocket queries.

Options to change the icon for inactive caches.

Options to include the hint in the main cache page, or in a linked page.

Creation of user notes, which are exported to the HTML file with the cache details (useful for part-solved puzzles and multis)

Override of cache coordinates (also useful for puzzles and multis). The updated coordinates are used in the merged GPX file.

The application is free to download; a modest payment will enable saving of user notes, location overrides, and turn off nag screens.

I have been using this application for a couple of months now and would now like to make it available to other geocachers. You can download it at http://www.tisri.com/gc - I would be most interested to receive further feedback on it.

I would like to thank the forum moderator for giving me permission to post this thread, and offer assurances to them and the wider community that I won't be spamming the forums, nor encouraging any posts other than those containing genuine opinions of my software.

Edited by team tisri

I downloaded the software to \\data\cddisk\software\GPS\GPXreader and ran it. The main screen appears but further nothing happened. I changed the source folder to \\data\ronny\fietsen\geocache where several geocache gpx files are stored.

When I refresh the list, I get an access violation 4B38F5 (read on address 0) and the program stops.

I downloaded the software to \\data\cddisk\software\GPS\GPXreader and ran it. The main screen appears but further nothing happened. I changed the source folder to \\data\ronny\fietsen\geocache where several geocache gpx files are stored.

When I refresh the list, I get an access violation 4B38F5 (read on address 0) and the program stops.

I've never seen that one, let me check it out.

Can you reference the UNC path using a drive letter successfully? If so then it must be a UNC issue I need to address.

Nag Screen seems to be the most tested fonctionnality.

html is empty here.

Which cache is causing the problem? Are you not getting any HTML files produced, or empty HTML files?

I'm a bit puzzled by this - I've been using the software for some weeks now with no issues at all.

OK folks, I found what the problem is.

I should have been clearer in the original post - the application was designed to work with GPX files produced by pocket queries rather than individual cache files.

That said I've updated it and v2.0.6 (now available from the same location as before) will now, as far as I can see, work with individual cache files as well.

Edited by team tisri

I should have been clearer in the original post - the application was designed to work with GPX files produced by pocket queries rather than individual cache files.

That said I've updated it and v2.0.6 (now available from the same location as before) will now, as far as I can see, work with individual cache files as well.

Did you make sure the nag screen still works?

Did you make sure the nag screen still works?

I didn't specifically test it, but since I didn't change it I think we can both be confident it will still work as expected. I must admit for this one I was more concerned with making sure that GPX files containing an individual cache would work :(

The new version seems the work with normaal gpx cache files. Most of the information on the html page can be shown also with the EasyGPS to and that is free.

OK, thanks for letting me know that it's working for you now.

Does EasyGPS allow you to override cache locations, and does it download pictures so they are stored locally?

For me the key reason for writing the software was to enable me to cache without any more than a single sheet of paper for taking notes along the way, and without having to constantly download images over a potentially slow mobile internet connection.

Now I get this.

0db6d82f-9770-4377-99d3-5d1454c28133.jpg

Would you be willing to email me the GPX file you're trying to export that gives the error? If so I'll drop you a PM.

I would however it is over 200 megabytes.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of GPX file is over 200 megabytes?

My pocket queries come in at about 3!

Now I get this.

Would you be willing to email me the GPX file you're trying to export that gives the error? If so I'll drop you a PM.

A database of all Washington State caches from GSAK.

Now I get this.

A database of all Washington State caches from GSAK.

Fair enough... presumably even if you compressed it we'd be talking 20+ megs, right?

Just a quick note, the forum moderators have asked me to take technical support away from the Groundspeak forums.

So if anyone has downloaded my application and would like to contact me with suggestions or problem reports, please use the email address on my web page rather than posting here.

I'm still very much interested in honest feedback but obviously it's not appropriate to use someone else's forum to support my product.

This new application creates individual HTML files, one for each cache. The most recent logs are stored in a separate file, and all inline images are downloaded and stored locally. This means that each cache page is just a couple of kilobytes and can be quickly and easily loaded. Because images are stored locally it means you don't need to have any internet access at all to load the files - this means they can be accessed on a PDA with no internet capabilities, and if accessed via a smartphone it keeps data costs down and can still be used in areas with limited mobile coverage.

Creation of user notes, which are exported to the HTML file with the cache details (useful for part-solved puzzles and multis)

Override of cache coordinates (also useful for puzzles and multis). The updated coordinates are used in the merged GPX file.

Seems like reinventing the wheel. Spinner already does all of this.

Seems like reinventing the wheel. Spinner already does all of this.

Spinner certainly does a lot of it.

Looking at their download it looks like something you install on a PC and if you want to use it on another PC you have to install it again. My application is designed to be portable so you can run it from a memory stick if you want to.

The Spinner web site also wasn't clear whether it downloads images to store them locally or not, which was one of the key things I wanted when I wrote my application.