Artwork for a coin

Chickahominy

I am interested in having some coins made. I have been designing them in my head and think I finally have something that can be drawn out. Unfortunately, I have no drawing or artistic skills. I'm crafty.. but not artsy. I know I can hire someone to put my ideas on paper. My question is: can a tattoo artist do it? If I see a tattoo design/style that I look and and think, "That's it!"... and if I could work with him, could the art we produce then be used for a coin? Thanks for your help.

I am interested in having some coins made. I have been designing them in my head and think I finally have something that can be drawn out. Unfortunately, I have no drawing or artistic skills. I'm crafty.. but not artsy. I know I can hire someone to put my ideas on paper. My question is: can a tattoo artist do it? If I see a tattoo design/style that I look and and think, "That's it!"... and if I could work with him, could the art we produce then be used for a coin? Thanks for your help.

If he's willing to take the job, why not? I know of at least one coin artist who draws by hand, so I'm sure even if he doesn't use the computer for his designs, it can be done :rolleyes: Good luck with your project!

All the above answers and pretty much anything you send to the mint can be used. I draw all my designs with pencil/paper, take a photo of my work and send it off. YOu can have them "clean up" your drawing or you can have them do a more authentic version of the actual drawing which is what I normally prefer myself for my own stuff.

The sky is the limit when submitting stuff to them, the biggest challenge is communicating exactly what you want :rolleyes:

The only problem I have found with hand drawn work is 3D. That's what took the Neptune coin so long to get made. I drew Neptune and they didn't know how to translate my pencil drawing into 3D mint artwork (I'm assuming it was difficult for them to place the different 3D leveling).

Good luck!

Edited by tsunrisebey