What is this?

Team-Bee

Ever since we found this today, I've been reading all I can online and all I can say is I'm more confused. What is this? I've looked up benchmarks in the area I found it, and can't find it in any database and wondering if there is anywhere I should log it. And what does USED stand for?

landmark2.jpg

Edited by Team-Bee

I would think it is a survey mark, either horizontal position control or an elevation bench mark, placed by the US Engineers (Army Corps) in 1944. But I don't know the exact meaning of the D.

There are many disks placed by many government agencies, from federal to local governments, and commercial firms. Only a small fraction of them are measured with the procedures, precautions,, and paperwork needed to get them into the NGS (formerly Coast and Geodetic Survey) data base, which has the most accurate data being distributed.

Edited by Bill93

Hi Team-Bee:

Welcome to benchmark hunting! As Bill said, there are many benchmarks out there that are not in databases that we have access to, if they are in any at all.

Here are some places you can learn about survey markers (benchmarks):

Me First (at the top of this forum)

Benchmark info on Geocaching (slide down the page for lots of info)

Unless you just happen to stumble on one, most folks who enjoy finding benchmarks start with a database (geocaching is one), and go try to find the benchmark based on that.

Good luck!

Klemmer

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

The Database maintained by the NGS contains a network of stations and bench marks related to maintaining geodetic control across the country. Other government agencies (and other parties) place survey marks that aren't related to geodetic control, and thus are generally not in the database.

For example, it looks like the disk you found is located near a dam. It may have been a very important control point for the purpose of building and maintaining the dam (and surely the agency that built the dam kept track of it), but it has no importance for the purpose of geodetic control, because its position and/or elevation has never been determined relative to other points in the NGS system.

There are hundreds of thousands of bench marks out there which have been placed by other agencies that aren't in the NGS database, the closer you look the more you'll see them.

United States Engineers "evolved" into the US Army Corps of Engineers (as I understand it, and keeping it simple). There are lots of dams where I often hike, and I keep tripping (at least once literally) over the survey markers from the Corps. Several years ago, I tracked down an appropriate person & sent them an email, asking about an on-line database. Nope. None (at that time), nor plans to create one. If you are a surveyor, and need the data, they will send you the data on a marker.

USED - United States Engineer District

I guess what I don't understand is the government putting something in the ground then not keeping a record of it.

I've posted a couple Idaho Highway Dept. discs on Waymarking. Then when in Boise went into The ITD location department and requested more info on the marks. No one there had a clue who set these marks or why. No record at all.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6415_Slick_1960