Geocoin?, just starting out

kablooie29

My wife and I are new to GCing and I have a question about geocoins (and TBs)... It's okay to remove one from a cache and not put anything it's place right? We don't have anything at this time to move around. I'm thinking about getting a TB and getting my 6 year old son involved in tracking a TB. He wants to see something go to Kansas for some reason...... :laughing: ?

TIA,

Louie

Edited by kablooie29
It's okay to remove one from a cache and not put anything it's place right?
You betcha !

activated trackable items are meant to travel, and if you can help them along in their goal to get to another geocache, by all means, feel free to do so

It's okay to remove one from a cache and not put anything it's place right?
You betcha !

activated trackable items are meant to travel, and if you can help them along in their goal to get to another geocache, by all means, feel free to do so

What he said! They aren't swag to be traded for. I'd rather see mine travel than sit because someone didn't bring anything to trade. Some caches will state that to take one you must leave one. That is more like a prison to me. Personally I don't obey that and take it if I can help it on its journey :laughing:

My wife and I are new to GCing and I have a question about geocoins (and TBs)... It's okay to remove one from a cache and not put anything it's place right? We don't have anything at this time to move around. I'm thinking about getting a TB and getting my 6 year old son involved in tracking a TB. He wants to see something go to Kansas for some reason...... :laughing: ?

TIA,

Louie

I have a extra Kansas micro if you are interested please email me.

I think it would be fun for him to send this to Kansas.

TIA,

Louie

Maybe you could get into the geocoin address book and perhaps secret senders or mystery coiners can have the opportunity to work their magic :anibad:

river cacher: what's a "micro"? lol. I hate asking such noob questions. :-\

fairyhoney: thanks for the welcome! btw: what's the geocoin address book and how/what does it do?

A micro geocoin is small enough to fit in a micro container like a film canister so it is about 1" in diameter or there abouts.

There is a thread that tell about the geocoin address book. Geocoin Address Book but I don't know exactly which post it tells you how to join it.

Welcome aboard,but tread with caution.

You have been warned.......LOL

I live in the 4 States Area and am a member of the 4States Cachers.

OK MO KS and AR.

So if he wants one to start in Kansas it is just a skip away.

I do have a few ARK-MO Geocachers 4 States coins left as well.

Says Geocache Missouri,Arkansas,Oklahoma and Kansas

river cacher: what's a "micro"? lol. I hate asking such noob questions. :-\

fairyhoney: thanks for the welcome! btw: what's the geocoin address book and how/what does it do?

Please do not fell wrong to ask questions.

How else do you learn.

It is ok if you act like a kid in a candy store becuse if you are not careful that is how it will be for you in here.

Good luck and ask away.

So the geocaching website says:

Each Geocoin has its own page on geocaching.com where you can track its progress as it passes from person to person or cache to cache.

How does/can each geocoin get its own website? Is the coin embossed with an ID #?

Hi kablooie29 - and welcome to this great game. When you receive the coin, there should be details of the website address to activate the coin. You will be required to enter the number on the coin and will be sent an "activation code". You then go to the trackable items page on www.geocaching.com and in the Activate Trackable Item area, enter the coin number, then follow the instructions. I hope this helps.

So the geocaching website says:

Each Geocoin has its own page on geocaching.com where you can track its progress as it passes from person to person or cache to cache.

How does/can each geocoin get its own website? Is the coin embossed with an ID #?

Yes, each coin has a tracking number that's cut into the coin. That number allows you to access it's travel page and log what you've done with it. If you find a coin in a cache, for instance, you'd log a "grab" if you picked it up and a "drop" when you place it in another cache. "Discoveries" are for those time you don't want to move the coin but only want to add it's icon to your list of Trackables. Your logs also "track" the coin in the system.... moving it's icon in or out of a cache so others can know where it is, as it were.

For more on logging coins go to www.geocaching.com/track/howtogeocoin.aspx

Edited by Droo