GPS Purchasing Advice

Greetings,

First post (using my Dad's account) and had a question about GPS units as I get into Geocaching.

After doing some initial research the past few days I've somewhat fallen in love with the thought of a "crossover" unit like the Nuvi 500. I'm torn on if this is a great option as the price is now around $250 (through Amazon.com), or if I should lean towards getting a basic auto-GPS and then a handheld unit for caching.

I'm leaning towards the 500 because my employer has offered to pay around $125-$150 for an automotive GPS for me, but would allow me to pay the difference if I found a "superior" unit to the basic ones in that price range.

Anyway - just wondering if I could get some advice on if the Nuvi 500 would be worth the purchase to cover both needs in place of a basic auto and likely a $100-$125 handheld unit also?

Thanks ahead of time!

In my opinion, you'd be better off with seperate units for automotive routing and geocaching. There are units that can do both (big-number Nuvis, the Oregon, the PN-40...), but it seems like they do one really well, and passably good for the other. But none of them do both really well. Like the handhelds that can route, they usually don't have speakers, just a beeper, so no turn-by-turn verbal directions, but great for caching. And for the Nuvis, great for routing, but limited battery life, no weather resistance, and no compass screen make them workable for caching, but not the best option. I actually have 2 car units and 2 handhelds, and this feels like the best way to do this, at least until a unit comes out that brings the best of both worlds.

Depending on your budget, I'd go with with Nuvi 500 and then grab a basic handheld like the Venture HC. With what your boss is willing to pay for tha auto GPS you can have both for around $240 out of pocket.

That way you have a pretty good car system that can be your backup GPS for caching should your other GPS breakdown or is forgotten at home. Plus the Venture HC is about as good a basic handheld you can find.

Edited by mcrow

While I won't argue that handhelds have their limitations as in-car units I still find the Oregon to be a superb all-around unit. To me there are two significant advantages to having one unit:

- Managing one unit (software upgrades, maps, etc) is less work

- Downloading cache data to one unit is less work (ie. not having to manually enter or download coordinates to an in car unit).

I think you might be able to make the case either way for cost, so I won't use that as an argument against the two unit approach.

Support for profiles in the Oregon and Colorado really makes the ability to use one unit for multiple activities a reality. For me finding a new cache works like this:

- Download gpx data to OR (using GSAK export macro)

- Switch to automotive profile

- Auto-navigate to parking/trailhead custom POI or map point and park

- Switch to geocaching profile

- Navigate to cache using paperless geocaching features

Because this work flow is so easy using a touchscreen OR I find that I don't even bother with the in-car unit any more for geocaching even though the bigger screen, TTS, etc is all very nice.

I'll go againist the grain here. I like the native paperless Geocaching built into the Nuvi 500 series. It gives you the large screen of an in-car nav unit - the convenience of a touchscreen and is semi-ruggedized to boot. The only bad parts of the 500 series is they are a bit awkward to hold while caching and the battery is propritary and not long lived.

While I won't argue that handhelds have their limitations as in-car units I still find the Oregon to be a superb all-around unit. To me there are two significant advantages to having one unit:

- Managing one unit (software upgrades, maps, etc) is less work

- Downloading cache data to one unit is less work (ie. not having to manually enter or download coordinates to an in car unit).

I think you might be able to make the case either way for cost, so I won't use that as an argument against the two unit approach.

Support for profiles in the Oregon and Colorado really makes the ability to use one unit for multiple activities a reality. For me finding a new cache works like this:

- Download gpx data to OR (using GSAK export macro)

- Switch to automotive profile

- Auto-navigate to parking/trailhead custom POI or map point and park

- Switch to geocaching profile

- Navigate to cache using paperless geocaching features

Because this work flow is so easy using a touchscreen OR I find that I don't even bother with the in-car unit any more for geocaching even though the bigger screen, TTS, etc is all very nice.

I can't argue much against that either. In fact, I think my next GPS will be an Oregon and I'll use it for both because it seems great for caching and good enough for me for an auto GPS.

However, price is a factor depending on if his boss considers the Oregon an autp GPS or not. Even an Oregon 200 goes for around $300, so with his boss paying $150 the Oregon 200 would be a good deal, if not two separate untis is probably a better deal.

Just a quick response before I head to work today - I don't think I could qualify the Oregon, sadly. I'll need some sort of auto unit. Any handheld will be strictly on my own personal budget. :D

Please, keep the comments coming. Everything said so far has been great.

Then my suggestion for the Nuvi 500 + Venture HC would what I'd go with.

However, if you're on a tight budget then it seems like the 500 should be good enough for Caching.

Just a quick response before I head to work today - I don't think I could qualify the Oregon, sadly. I'll need some sort of auto unit. Any handheld will be strictly on my own personal budget. :D

Please, keep the comments coming. Everything said so far has been great.

Then my suggestion for the Nuvi 500 + Venture HC would what I'd go with.

However, if you're on a tight budget then it seems like the 500 should be good enough for Caching.

I would recommend separate devices as well but there would really be no need to go with the more expensive 500 if its strictly for car use. Your boss's portion would likely cover the full cost of a Nuvi 200 series which would work fine for the car. You could then spend all your money on something like a Delorme PN-20 which is good for off-road but not as good for on-road. The PN-20 also gives you paperless caching capability, something other off-road models in that price range won't.