geocaching with Garmin eTrex Legend (Garmin eTrex H)

infernal

Hello Im geonewbie and i have nice offer to buy Garmin eTrex Legend and I want to know if this device will be good for geocaching, most importaintly how it's acurate in average, because i can navigate using map very well but still Im having problems with locating caches with less then 30 meters deviation especialy in woods without any navigation points. So I want use legend for acurate locating caches after arriving close to place with map. And how it standt against eTrex H(big difference?) Thanks for help.

etrexlegend.jpg

Edited by infernal

I have one, works fine as long as you aren't in the woods or surrounded by buildings. I've had it for a few years and am going to get rid of it soon as I can.

Hello Im geonewbie and i have nice offer to buy Garmin eTrex Legend and I want to know if this device will be good for geocaching, most importaintly how it's acurate in average, because i can navigate using map very well but still Im having problems with locating caches with less then 30 meters deviation especialy in woods without any navigation points. So I want use legend for acurate locating caches after arriving close to place with map. And how it standt against eTrex H(big difference?) Thanks for help.

etrexlegend.jpg

The old blue Legend was a fine GPS in its day - helped me to find my first 150 caches. However it is really aged by now. older, slower technology. The patch anntena on it makes it perform badly under even mild tree cover. In clear open areas - it is as good as any new GPS on the market. Best secret is to hold the unit flat in your had with the display pointing upwards - hold about 12 - 18 inches from your body and it works much better. I see new ones go fro around $70 and used ones on the $30 to $60 range. Used one - maybe...

I'd suggest something new like the Garmin Venture HC. Any of Garmin's eTrex units with an "H" in the name is a better unit - the "H" stands for high sensitivity receiver.

My husband has one and it takes forever to get a signal. Under tree cover it is worse. If you decide to buy it make sure you check for a firmware update. Before we updated his it would suddenly die and get a blue line across the screen. It was a pain to have to stop take out the batteries and let it reload. I have a yellow etrex H and it has helped us get over 200 caches so far.

I'd suggest something new like the Garmin Venture HC. Any of Garmin's eTrex units with an "H" in the name is a better unit - the "H" stands for high sensitivity receiver.

Yep. You'll be happier with getting at least a Venture HC.

Thety are going for $128 at Amazon (And it comes with a USB cable)

I have the Legend myself (recently got an Oregon, so it's a backup now) and I can relate to your pain.

It works fine as an entry level / beginner unit.

Best secret is to hold the unit flat in your had with the display pointing upwards - hold about 12 - 18 inches from your body and it works much better.

StarBrands advice is perfect - this works pretty well (think of holding it out like a preacher at a wedding holding a bible). However in low lying areas, lots of buildings or very heavy tree cover this will only get you 'better' reception, not perfect reception.

Given a choice for a first unit - this one is good OK and can handle maps (not many - but a fair amount of street level detail for a region) so that is nice however the eTrex H will be better for caching.

If you want something to help you with the in car navigation and one for trail use - go with the eTrex H for the trail and get a $59-$79 refurbished in car unit.

Edited by andynshe