Handicap Access

rbreslin

There are a lot of individuals (myself included) who are physically challenged or are in wheelchairs. It would be nice to have a wheelchair icon for the cache that lets people know they don't have to climb or crawl to get to a cache. I know there is another website that provides this sort of thing but I like Geocaching.com and would like to see it here also. If there is already something in place then please let me know.

There are a lot of individuals (myself included) who are physically challenged or are in wheelchairs. It would be nice to have a wheelchair icon for the cache that lets people know they don't have to climb or crawl to get to a cache. I know there is another website that provides this sort of thing but I like Geocaching.com and would like to see it here also. If there is already something in place then please let me know.

The cache attributes already includes an icon for it.

and the icon can be helpful but...

...unfortunately there is no way to search based upon the icon. Best bet is to run a pocket query for 1 terrains (or just peruse the list as many do - zip code browsing can be a good way to look). Within those 1 terrains, browse for the icon. If you see something you would like to try for but it doesn't have the icon, read the logs, try a Google Earth search, maybe write the CO and ask or, if it isn't miles and miles away, just go out and take a look!

I wish there were an easier answer. Wouldn't it be great is the icons were searchable??

p.s. Don't be surprised if you go for a cache that has the icon but it doesn't turn out to be accessible. Something folks who have never been in a chair don't always think about is height or reach. Not their fault - just a different mind set. Don't let it get to you. They meant well!!

The cache attributes already includes an icon for it.

I have not placed a cache yet so I did not know. Thanks for the heads-up.

and the icon can be helpful but...

...unfortunately there is no way to search based upon the icon. Best bet is to run a pocket query for 1 terrains (or just peruse the list as many do - zip code browsing can be a good way to look). Within those 1 terrains, browse for the icon. If you see something you would like to try for but it doesn't have the icon, read the logs, try a Google Earth search, maybe write the CO and ask or, if it isn't miles and miles away, just go out and take a look!

I wish there were an easier answer. Wouldn't it be great is the icons were searchable??

p.s. Don't be surprised if you go for a cache that has the icon but it doesn't turn out to be accessible. Something folks who have never been in a chair don't always think about is height or reach. Not their fault - just a different mind set. Don't let it get to you. They meant well!!

Thanks for the reply. I am not in a chair yet but pretty close and I have aquaintances that are. However, I was not aware of the icon. I checked the pocket query and "behold" you can include and exclude caches by icon. This may be a new feature I was not aware of or it may not work properly but I'll try it anyway. thanks for the reply and understanding.

By definition, a cache rated 1-star terrain should be wheelchair accessible. Unfortunately, probably most 1-star caches aren't. I've even politely emailed quite a few cache owners with 1-star caches suggesting that they increase the terrain rating of their cache. As far as I can remember, not a single one did so.

You can also check out http://www.handicaching.com/

Jamie

By definition, a cache rated 1-star terrain should be wheelchair accessible. Unfortunately, probably most 1-star caches aren't. I've even politely emailed quite a few cache owners with 1-star caches suggesting that they increase the terrain rating of their cache. As far as I can remember, not a single one did so.

Jamie

What he said.

Sadly, many cache owners don't understand the rating system, and do not rate properly for terrain.

Jamie

Someone just suggested it to me on one of mine and I bumped mine to 1.5. I understand!