multiple cache info at once

danmc91

I use pocket queries if I'm going to be in an area and want to download all the geocache waypoints in the area to my gps in case I have time for some caching. However, I don't have a reasonable, automated way for getting quick access to all of the cache information. Is there any way to get quickly download the description, cache size, difficulty/terrain info, and any hints (scrambled) to a single pdf thats formatted to not take an entire forest to print?

I've tried using my t-mobile cell phone to go to the geocaching.com web site to look up cache info while out and about but get an out of memory error. Guess the web site isn't quite compatible with more basic web capable mobiles.

I find it to be a pain to print out even 10 or 15 cache descriptions when I'm having to load each one at at time on a computer.

Surely I'm not the only one who finds this part tedious? Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Dan

I use pocket queries if I'm going to be in an area and want to download all the geocache waypoints in the area to my gps in case I have time for some caching. However, I don't have a reasonable, automated way for getting quick access to all of the cache information. Is there any way to get quickly download the description, cache size, difficulty/terrain info, and any hints (scrambled) to a single pdf thats formatted to not take an entire forest to print?

You have a few options. Basically what you're looking for is "paperless geocaching".

1. Get a GPSr with paperless capability. Examples : Garmin Colorado, Oregon and DeLorme PN-40.

2. Get an old Palm PDA and Cachemate software. Or you can use a PocketPC, some smartphones, iPod.

3. Load your PQ into GSAK. Then use GSAK to print out a summary page. Not paperless, but at least "minimal paper".

Tell us which one you're interested in and we can describe it more to you. FWIW I'm doing option 2.

Edited by Chrysalides

Your basic options are outlined above but I'll add a bit more...

A Cheap used PDA from ebay goes for about $25 - add $10 for cachemate and you are all set - bad part - you carry 2 devices.

Full paperless GPS devices are great - I have a Garmin Colorado and a Colorado Oregon - also interested in the new Lowrance Endura series - those look nice.

GSAk option is a bit clumy but works.

You don't say what unit you have, but if you have one of the newer Garmins you can get a lot of the key info onto your unit using GSAK. Hint, size, type. Of course the Oregon and Colorado will give you the entire cache page if you have one of those.

Since this isn't a getting started issue I'm moving it to a more appropriate forum where someone may be able to help.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know about wap.geocaching.com. Just tried it out on my phone and it works fine. This will probably cover most 70-80% of what I wanted.

My gps is a garmin etrex vista HCX. Buying a new one is not in the cards for me anytime soon.

I didn't know about the palm pilot route. I may keep my eyes open for one. I don't always want to carry one in my backpack but most of the time when I'm away from cell coverage, I'm not collecting multple caches without returning to my car in between anyway. So this is probably a workable extra solution.

Thanks for all the tips.

-Dan