Dedicated GPS: What will it do for me?

In my short geocaching career so far I've used my phones (Nokia N95 and now 5800Xpress) together with the excellent Geocache Navigator program for all my caching needs. I'm considering buying a dedicated GPS unit now though, but I'm unsure of just what advantages it would have over my phone based system. I'm guessing that signal strength would be improved, but what else?

I love that I can be anywhere and use my phone software to find caches close to me, and that I can access logs, and clues and whatnots right from the geocaching website. With a dedicated unit, such as a Garmin etrex vista HCx, what infomation could I expect on-screen from downloaded waypoints?

I've gone the other way and pretty much exclusively use my phone (a Blackberry) for caching. The only advantages you will get with a dedicated GPS is a more robust and weatherproof unit. I have a 76CSx but it rarely gets used any more :unsure:

Yup - me too, battery power and generally more robust, I couldn't drop my Mio P550 off the top of a Tor and expect it to survive, but a small lanyard solves that problem.

With a dedicated unit, such as a Garmin etrex vista HCx, what infomation could I expect on-screen from downloaded waypoints?

The only info you'll have will be the waypoint name and the cache name and the location. You don't get the cache details, or hints, or previous logs etc.

I have a Vista and a Blackberry with the Cacheberry S/W, and I think they make a good combo but I still prefer to use the vista for the actual hunt.

With a dedicated unit, such as a Garmin etrex vista HCx, what infomation could I expect on-screen from downloaded waypoints?

The only info you'll have will be the waypoint name and the cache name and the location. You don't get the cache details, or hints, or previous logs etc.

Not entirely true... If you use GSAK you can choose what info to have on your GPS unit (and again, it also depends on your GPS unit)

On my GPSMap 60CSX I have the hint, last found info for the most recent 4 finds, cache container size, terrain and difficulty rating....exactly what you want is customisable (is that a word??)

Not entirely true... If you use GSAK you can choose what info to have on your GPS unit (and again, it also depends on your GPS unit)

On my GPSMap 60CSX I have the hint, last found info for the most recent 4 finds, cache container size, terrain and difficulty rating....exactly what you want is customisable (is that a word??)

But I don't think you can get all that info on the Vista.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

A Colorado 300 is what I'll be buying in a few weeks time - maps, cache listings, complete with logs etc.... great accuracy etc etc and what's more = robust.

There's a shop on ebay at the mo that's doing them for only £229.... amazing bargain!

A Colorado 300 is what I'll be buying in a few weeks time - maps, cache listings, complete with logs etc.... great accuracy etc etc and what's more = robust.

There's a shop on ebay at the mo that's doing them for only £229.... amazing bargain!

Lets just start with 400 odd caches later my N95 is in a poor state. Its used for everything...

Geocach Navigator

Smart GPX

Nokia Maps

Garmin XT

Viewranger (if you often Cache same area).

If your good at it you can 3 off them at one time...

Compass program to see where North is...

Its a great Caching tool...

DOwnsides...

BAttery Life 4 Hours max.. But charge it whenever you want its good for the battery... You dont need to flatten it...

Caching in rain and robustness...

GPS Could be better...

Thats why I am thinking Oregon 400t £287 pounds on line! Now thats a bargin as well...

Your choice...

But for paperless Caching it will be hard tobeat an N95 thats for certain...

GerritS

I've gone the other way and pretty much exclusively use my phone (a Blackberry) for caching. The only advantages you will get with a dedicated GPS is a more robust and weatherproof unit. I have a 76CSx but it rarely gets used any more :)

Yup - I found my first 100 or so with my Garmin Geko 201, but now I find almost all my caches with my HTC TyTN II phone, using Memory Map and BeeLine. I do most of my logging from it as well, out in the field.

Battery life is a major problem - GPS absolutely hammers it in about three hours. However, I've now got a charger using 4 AA batteries that keeps it topped up, so that's fine for longer expeditions.

The Geko still proves its value, though. I often just leave it switched on all the time to record where I've been, as the battery life is so good. It also comes out in bad weather, as it's waterproof, which the phone most certainly isn't. I also like using it for multis where you have to enter co-ords as you go along, as I just find it easier to enter them using one hand, holding a notebook in the other...so a few of my finds are still thanks to one of the most basic GPS units going.

A dedicated unit will give you the benefits of robustness, weather resistance and battery life - if you think those will come in handy, splash out the cash.

Lee

I have an Extrex Vista and an N95 with Trimble Navigator on it , buy a simple bluetooth GPS receiver (£20 on ebay) you get a far better chipset and battery life in 3G areas is no longer a problem , mine will do a full day in the field and still have time/batt for phonecalls.

The Vista chipset is slightly better under dense tree cover than the external bluetooth but its still pretty good and gets you within a few feet of GZ

I am convinced the Trimble application is the reason for me never having to resort to PAF all the info at my fingertips :)

Buy it now.. Go on, I double dare you! :unsure: !

I bought a Colorado 300 a few weeks back, and can definitely recommend them, and with Mr T. Toasters free maps, they work extremely well.

And my 60CSx still gets used loads strapped to my mountain bike.

Thanks for the helps and advices. I think for the time being I'll stick with my phone and see how I get along.

I don't blame you, the N95 is good. If you have not got any of the software above drop me a line I have installed it on several phones now and might be able to help :anicute: you would be suprised whats knoking round for free....

I think I will wait for the N97 to upgrade. Says he just going out to look at the Oregon and colarado side by side LOL..

I liked my N95, it served me well except in the trees when it was as much use for finding a cache as a quarter pound of mince, but as a starter tool that got me into caching it can't really be knocked. I had an upgrade forced upon me when my mrs was out solo and dropped the phone and smashed the screen. I've installed the Trimble software onto the replacement a 5800 XpressMusic and so far it's working great (bearing in mind we've only done one cache since recieving it). I've installed a trial of Viewranger but haven't had time to sit and have a proper play with it yet, but if you have any other software hints or tips I'd be very appreciative.