Show gps position on mapsource

When I first got into this gps business I had a Etrex Vista and when connected to my laptop with Metro guide running you could see on the laptop screen where you were on the map. Ideal if you were the passenger navigating for the driver. I've now got an Oregon 300 and a mapsource map for Europe on my laptop but there doesn't seem to be that same option. Have they removed it on safety grounds or am I missing something? In the good old days there weren't Tomtoms or Nuvi's so maybe in this day and age Garmin don't think this feature is wanted.

When I first got into this gps business I had a Etrex Vista and when connected to my laptop with Metro guide running you could see on the laptop screen where you were on the map. Ideal if you were the passenger navigating for the driver. I've now got an Oregon 300 and a mapsource map for Europe on my laptop but there doesn't seem to be that same option. Have they removed it on safety grounds or am I missing something? In the good old days there weren't Tomtoms or Nuvi's so maybe in this day and age Garmin don't think this feature is wanted.

I think n'route will do that.

I did notice they took that option out of Mapsource.

There used to be a software package from Garmin called nRoute that would do that for you.

It used to be at:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

It's not there any more.

If you search on the Garmin site for "nRoute" they still have instruction for downloading and installing, but it doesn't work, the software is not there.

You might give Garmin a call...

They have stopped supporting nRoute. Some newer maps do not work on it.....

There used to be a software package from Garmin called nRoute that would do that for you.

It used to be at:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

It's not there any more.

If you search on the Garmin site for "nRoute" they still have instruction for downloading and installing, but it doesn't work, the software is not there.

You might give Garmin a call...

They have stopped supporting nRoute. Some newer maps do not work on it.....

Just hooked up n'route to my Oregon 300 and it seemed to work OK.

Thanks for all the help. I found it on Garmins web site and it's free but, as the last person said it doesn't work on some maps, at least not with mine, a MapSource covering Europe. I get an error message saying nRoute could not find any installed Mapsource map products. Ho Hum. I've emailed Garmin and will let you know next week what they say.

Thanks for all the help. I found it on Garmins web site and it's free but, as the last person said it doesn't work on some maps, at least not with mine, a MapSource covering Europe. I get an error message saying nRoute could not find any installed Mapsource map products. Ho Hum. I've emailed Garmin and will let you know next week what they say.

GoogleEarth works also...and it's free.

I had noticed your comment about Google Earth and thought you misunderstood the question... sorry about that.

I was poking around in GE and saw the Tools - GPS tab and thought I'd explore. It turns out that you can in fact use GE to show you position on your screen. I set my GPS to simulate a route, connected it to the computer and GE is following the simulated route.

This brings up the question: if you were to actually drive a route vs. simulating one, how would you continue to receive the data from the Google Earth server for the imagery along the route? Could you download it prior?

Just wondering.

... it doesn't work on some maps, at least not with mine, a MapSource covering Europe. I get an error message saying nRoute could not find any installed Mapsource map products.

Hi Longitude,

nRoute only works with maps in IMG format. The new GMAP format cannot be used by nRoute.

So you have to convert the GMAP format to the old IMG format using

http://members.ziggo.nl/zumo/cne2009_multilang.html

Regards - Anton

Edited by macnetz

This brings up the question: if you were to actually drive a route vs. simulating one, how would you continue to receive the data from the Google Earth server for the imagery along the route? Could you download it prior?

Hi,

there are some tools to fill the GE cache in advance . . .

Regards - Anton