Really dumb question

grateful cacher

I've got a really dumb noob question. I see maps that are available as 24k and 100k. I know there is a really simple explanation as to what those numbers mean, but darned if I can find it. Can anyone enlighten this rookie as to what they really are and what they mean?

TIA

;)

The memory size of the maps. Really helpful if your GPS is limited on memory but you want a new map. Also the larger the size (normally) the greater the detail will be.

I've got a really dumb noob question. I see maps that are available as 24k and 100k. I know there is a really simple explanation as to what those numbers mean, but darned if I can find it. Can anyone enlighten this rookie as to what they really are and what they mean?

TIA

;)

The memory size of the maps. Really helpful if your GPS is limited on memory but you want a new map. Also the larger the size (normally) the greater the detail will be.

not really. The 24k and 100k refer to the map scale. 24,000:1 is 1 inch to 2000 feet. More here.

Jim

TIA

:D

not really. The 24k and 100k refer to the map scale. 24,000:1 is 1 inch to 2000 feet. More here.

Jim

GRrr I hate being wrong ;)

Theres a first time for everything right? :D

TIA

;)

Jim

Thanks for the info. I thought about it for awhile and came to the same conclusion. This is a new environment for me and I'm on a steep learing curve.

Thanks again.

Rich

... The 24k and 100k refer to the map scale. 24,000:1 is 1 inch to 2000 feet. More here.

Jim

True that. The bigger the scale the the smaller the terrain and landmarks you would be looking for on the map.

Just to confuse things more, Arial maps tend to have their quality (resolution?) stated in Meters per Pixel. Like scale the smaller number of meters per pixel the better the quality of the map.

Edited by Renegade Knight

so...what's the better one to get?

The 24k maps will give you more detail since but will take up more memory. I have been looking into getting some, getting ready for a cross country trip this summer, and I think there are 11 total 24k discs for the entire US, as opposed to 1 DVD for the 100k (I may be wrong on the number of discs). I guess it would depend on how much information you want or need to have displayed.