I dont know what gps to buy!

I am also an avid Geocacher, but I prefer to go completely paperless, and now, COMPUTERLESS!

At this time, I am paperless and computerless since I started using by Blackberry Bold along with the Blackstar Geocaching solution. It is free, open source and very nice. Takes a little getting used to, but you can Geocache start to finish without paper or a computer, wherever, whenever. Only cost is the $3/month fee to Groundspeak for the pocket query capability.

If you're adventurous and up for some easy hacking to get a device to work great, check out the iLoox device.

If you don't want a phone, I recommend an unlocked Look n100 running the iLooks desktop (haven't tried a n110 or n120 yet but I'm going to soon). I use noniGPSplot as the mapping program, GPXsonar to track my caches, and I create a mobibook from the GSAK mobibook creator macro to view the details of a cache, the hints (GPX sonar shows hints too), and the comments.

Works very well. Takes a little practice, but I was able to teach my wife and she is getting the hang of it after a few times out while I'm learning the Blackberry software. I was using a Navigon 2100, but the screen is bigger and a massive battery hog and is better for navigation. The n100 is small enough to be comfortable in my hand (although too small for dash mounted navigation), big enough to read adequately, has a great battery life, (I've gone all day without a recharge, 2100 gets me 4-6 hours), AND COMES WITH A STYLUS!!! With the ilooks desktop, it is very simple, clean and easy.

gpspassion.com has all the help you could possibly want to get the loox working right, as well as info on any gps out there. I hope my suggestions help, but if not, gpspassion should.

Tell us your budget.

For starters, go with a dedicated handheld GPS.. don't use a phone or an automotive unit particularly if you have just started caching. A handheld is rugged enough and is guaranteed to have all the functionality you are going to need.

Look at the Garmin etrex range for starters, many price points in there. With a set price (<$150? $150-$300? >$300?) you'll get better suggestions for units and optional mapping solutions. Knowing you live in the UK also will tell us what kind of maps you need.

Edited by Maingray

Tell us your budget.

For starters, go with a dedicated handheld GPS.. don't use a phone or an automotive unit particularly if you have just started caching. A handheld is rugged enough and is guaranteed to have all the functionality you are going to need.

Look at the Garmin etrex range for starters, many price points in there. With a set price (<$150? $150-$300? >$300?) you'll get better suggestions for units and optional mapping solutions. Knowing you live in the UK also will tell us what kind of maps you need.

Just to follow up what Maingray said, make sure you look at the "H" series of the etrex's. This is moe if you buy used thn new as I think all new ones are "H"??

Has means better reception!

i just found this thread too.

we're looking for a HANDHELD unit, preferrably under $250CA. colour screen, easy to navigate and update (not having to pay for maps would be nice).

we have a TomTom One XL in our car already if that makes a difference.

i was looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx which is available locally for $255CA at mec

or Lowrance Endura Outback for $245 at GPScity.ca

the problem i'm having is finding good prices in canada.

are these 2 units going to be good for a while if i buy them now? we are BRAND NEW to geocaching.

Edited by bruce.redecopp

i just found this thread too.

we're looking for a HANDHELD unit, preferrably under $250CA. colour screen, easy to navigate and update (not having to pay for maps would be nice).

we have a TomTom One XL in our car already if that makes a difference.

i was looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx which is available locally for $255CA at mec

or Lowrance Endura Outback for $245 at GPScity.ca

the problem i'm having is finding good prices in canada.

are these 2 units going to be good for a while if i buy them now? we are BRAND NEW to geocaching.

www.radioworld.ca or www.gpscity.ca usually have the best prices for GPSr's in Canada :blink:

I hear that the Delormes are nice units, however since the posters is in Canada (assumption since quoting in canadian dollars) the delorme doesn't have canadian maps available for it yet.

I have a Legend HCx and really like it. Nice form factor and easy to use. However a decent set of maps (above the included base map) will run you an additional $100.

so is there anything that i can buy (maps and whatever else i need included) for around $200-250 canadian. they must come with BASE MAPS, are they good enough to get buy with, just not as fancy?

i need the unit to work in canada and prefer not to have to spend $100+ on maps.

don't they come with any maps included? i just want to use it for geocaching, nothing else, not for the car etc.

mec.ca has some nice looking units and they offer a great return policy if you aren't happy.

Edited by brucered