Panama, geocaching trip

savarda

As long as it's not hollowed out as a place to stash drugs on your way back, I think you'll be okay. Call your local airport's customs department and ask them if there are any restrictions on them to be sure.

Some good advice there. You're probably confusing the situation with Cuba, where it's illegal to bring a GPS in. I'll bet you'll be fine in Panama. Or just about anywhere else in the world except Cuba and North Korea. :)

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions traveling from Canada to Panama with my Garmin GPS? :)

I flew on Continental to/from Europe about a week ago and the flight attendant specifically mentioned that the *use* of GPS units was not allowed. I never had a problem using them on other airlines. Once you get to Panama it looks like there about 30 or so caches to be found, including a couple of FTF opportunities (one of them hasn't been found since it was placed in March 2007).

I flew to Panama a couple of years ago from the U.S. We had no problems at all. We had two GPSrs that were carried on board. I have never had a GPSr given a second look by airport security.

If you are going by ship - the same should apply; however, I haven't done that personally.

Panama has no restrictions on GPS use, though a lot of people will not understand what it is.

I flew to Panama a couple of years ago from the U.S. We had no problems at all. We had two GPSrs that were carried on board. I have never had a GPSr given a second look by airport security.

If you are going by ship - the same should apply; however, I haven't done that personally.

Panama has no restrictions on GPS use, though a lot of people will not understand what it is.

Now that I've had more time to look at the various caching opportunities in Panama, yes there about 30 caches, and it looks like they even have a native geocacher with 20 finds and 14 hides. (Which isn't the case in many countries, where all the caches are "vacation caches"). So it looks like happy caching for you.