Looking for help from experienced cachers

JandN93

OK, so we've been caching for awhile and will be placing our first cache soon. We have already got an idea, etc. for that and I think we're ready to go.

I have another idea for what will be our second cache hide and would like some thoughts, etc. So, let me explain. This June, we will be taking part in a local fundraising event that the group wants to get more non-event participants to come check out. Is it possible to create a 1 day cache (or event?) that I could locate at the event, probably our tent site? There will be NO entrance fee and I would be able to get coordinates, etc. before posting it.

Any thoughts, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!

N of JandN93

I have another idea for what will be our second cache hide and would like some thoughts, etc. So, let me explain. This June, we will be taking part in a local fundraising event that the group wants to get more non-event participants to come check out. Is it possible to create a 1 day cache (or event?) that I could locate at the event, probably our tent site? There will be NO entrance fee and I would be able to get coordinates, etc. before posting it.

I think that idea would be disallowed for two reasons. 1) the fundraising event, no matter how noble, would be considered "an agenda", and 2) caches listed here are expected, under the guidelines, to remain in place for a reasonable time. Nevertheless, no harm done in openly discussing it with your local reviewer.

What is the local event?

A flash mob at your tent could be an event. You might upset the local cachers if they find out they are in for a sales pitch to donate to the starving pygmies in New Guinea.

I would say that almost anything is possible. It just depends on your approach and willingness to bend to the rules, and not the other way around.

The event is the ACS Relay for Life and it is at a school. I've done some research and found there is NOT another cache close by and I'm wondering if it would be better (ie legal) to put in a permanent cache on the school grounds and just have it go live the day of the event (I would just have to get permission from the school, right?). I want to follow the rules and there would absolutely be NO sales pitches, but the event would be going on if a cacher wanted to check it out.

I'm hoping there is a legit way to do something because the ACS has offered to give me lots of swag to put in the cache!!

A permanent cache on school grounds sounds like something that won't happen. Is it going to be available for group finds 24-7 three years from now after administration has some kind of turn-over and still be in good taste?

How about advertising your tent-event as having some geocaching to go with it. Set out some stuff to find just for the day. Invite some local area geocachers to help out by providing hand-held GPS receivers; the experienced cachers could be "tour guides" so they can follow their hand-held and know that it will come back to them afterwards. You can promote geocaching to muggles without setting a permanent geocache. The geocaching experience is for the event but is considered as an extra activity to go along with the tent festivities. Think of it like geocaching with a lower case "g" instead of Geocaching with a capital "G" which would be linked with Geocaching.com. If you want to give away a hand-held GPS receiver, you can give one away that was already bought by you, rather than checking in with corporate Garmin International to see if they would send a representative to "officially" give out a Garmin hand-held. Get it?

The event is the ACS Relay for Life and it is at a school. I've done some research and found there is NOT another cache close by and I'm wondering if it would be better (ie legal) to put in a permanent cache on the school grounds and just have it go live the day of the event (I would just have to get permission from the school, right?). I want to follow the rules and there would absolutely be NO sales pitches, but the event would be going on if a cacher wanted to check it out.

I'm hoping there is a legit way to do something because the ACS has offered to give me lots of swag to put in the cache!!

Schools = bad idea for a cache placement - even with permission. A balding, 42 year old overweight male poking around on school grounds during a school day is going to attract some very unwanted attention. Just life. From some teacher, student or principal or neighbor.