Questions about caching using a Palm M515

I am getting ready to buy a Palm M515 to use exclusively for geocaching. The units I'm comparing are refurbished and not all the original accessories are included. Need to know what is minimum required. Specifically:

1. Can I charge the unit using the USB sync cable or do I need a wall charger?

2. Do I Need a cradle to sync/charge or can I plug the cable directly into the PDA?

3. What is the typical battery lufe on a full charge? The units I am looking at all say "new battery" so I assume that is an issue.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'll top this once time and then give up.

Well, I'll help you bump it up once more. I don't have a M515 (using an older Vx). Still on its original battery, and battery life has not been a problem.

I'd assume the sync cable can be used to charge (by plugging it into a USB port that is powered). And you should be able to sync with it - after all, it is called the sync cable, right?

You may want to verify that it works with Vista. I've read much conflicting information, don't know which is true... it is a safe bet it will not work with vista 64 bit though.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I had heard about the Vista USB sync issues. Not a problem, since I'm on XP with all patches. From what I can see it appears the cable can indeed charge the unit. Just wanted to be sure I ordered all the parts and pieces i need to use it on arrival. One of the things to consider when buying used equipment.

I'll top this once time and then give up.

Well, I'll help you bump it up once more. I don't have a M515 (using an older Vx). Still on its original battery, and battery life has not been a problem.

I'd assume the sync cable can be used to charge (by plugging it into a USB port that is powered). And you should be able to sync with it - after all, it is called the sync cable, right?

A sync cable is a sync cable and nothing more. It does not charge the Palm. The cradle for the m515 has powerplug to which you connect a power adapter. It does not charge the unit with power from the USB connection.

As for syncing Palms you can also sync it with infrared so I guess you could get away with a standalone travel charger and a computer with IR.