gpsmap 60csx maps

cant seem to get it to work

What to work? ?? ???

It would greatly help us to help you if you provided some details, ie. like basically what did you do, etc?

If you got the Oklahoma topo from gpsfiledepot, it is selfinstalling into MapSource, just run the file.

The fifth and sixth tutorials from the bottom on gpsfiledepot tell you about MapSource and installing/loading mapsets.

for less then $100 bucks and probably closer to $80 bucks i would buy the city streets maps or i thing they are called city navigator you wont regret it they work great plus you have all the pionts of intrest and such.example just last week was driving late at nite and was starting to get low on fuel sign before exit said 24hrs but they where closed.hit the find gas and bamb 8 miles further TA truck stop it was a big commfort to me at 1:30 am no need to update every year i plan on updating every 2 or 3 years you can also check on e-bay or amazon

for less then $100 bucks and probably closer to $80 bucks i would buy the city streets maps or i thing they are called city navigator you wont regret it they work great plus you have all the pionts of intrest and such.example just last week was driving late at nite and was starting to get low on fuel sign before exit said 24hrs but they where closed.hit the find gas and bamb 8 miles further TA truck stop it was a big commfort to me at 1:30 am no need to update every year i plan on updating every 2 or 3 years you can also check on e-bay or amazon

Hi, I am new to geocaching and I've had my Garmin 60csx for only a few months now. I downloaded some free topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com as suggested here. My question is are these maps as good as the topo maps Garmin sells? How are they different?

Some of them. Garmin's Topo maps are at 100k resolution, but the California maps available at gpsfiledepot are at 24k resolution, which is better. Garmin's maps cover the whole USA, I think most of the ones at gpsfiledepot are for individual states, but of course you can just download more than one. A while ago, I bought the Garmin ones, but since I live in California, I probably would not buy their topos again, since I can get better ones for free.

I will pretty much say all of the topo maps on GPSFileDepot are better for the following reasons (only comparing to Garmin Topo 2008 not their 24k offerings):

- More detailed contour lines

- More up-to-date roads (not routable)

- More water detail (in many of our maps, not all, some just have equivalent water detail)

- Price (free is good)

Now, with that said I will also add that Garmin has more trails for some states and the custom maps have more trails for other states.

The 24k maps Garmin is releasing have routable roads but don't exist everywhere yet. That makes them as detailed as the free ones but the routable roads are very nice.

Also, none of the custom maps have the elevation shading you get with Topo 2008 because none of us have figured out how to include it yet.

Thanks for the information. I think the maps from GPSFileDepot are great. I'm impressed with them so far.

I have one other question. With the Garmin 60CSX what is the best size Micro SD card to get? I think I read where there is really no point in getting a card larger than 2GB because the storage beyond 2GB cannot be used. Is that true?

Thanks