Next step UP from Etrex Camo

Greetings cachers,

I have an eTrex Camo that I bought for my first gpsr as I decided if I wanted to continue in this sport.

It appears I want to continue, so now I am looking to upgrade.

My biggest issue w/ the camo is that it does not seem very accurate nor does it keep signal in the woods.

I tried to hide something in my backyard for my daughter to find, but I couldn't get the same set of coordinates twice at the given location. I tried marking the spot and walking away and back about 10 times.

My question is: Which is the next Garmin GPSr up from the camo that will get better reception?

I am still new and have always been cheap, so I don't want an Oregon, Colorado, etc.

It is my understanding that the camo is NOT high sensitivity.

Is that correct?

Which is the least expensive garmin that HAS high sensitivity?

I don't need maps, color, etc as I have a car gps to get me close and all I am doing is following the arrow.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

The eTrex H is the least expensive , high sensitivity Garmin, but it has a serial PC connection and doesn't come with cables. By the time you buy the necessary cable and adapter you've added up to $60 to the cost of the unit.

A Venture HC or Legend H only cost a bit more and come use a standard USB cable that you probably already have so in the end would be cheaper to buy a Venture HC or Legend H.

By the way, you'll get better reception with these, but you'll see little improvement in accuracy. All consumer grade GPS units are only accurate to about 10-30 feet.

Edited by briansnat

By the way, you'll get better reception with these, but you'll see little improvement in accuracy. All consumer grade GPS units are only accurate to about 10-30 feet.

If I have better reception, won't my accuracy improve, too.

I guess I am confused why I couldn't get the same reading 2x or more in my own backyard.

CHEAP! the pn40 i looked at were $400.

I was content w/ my camo until I couldn't get the same reading twice in my back yard...it wasn't even close.

Not sure where you looked, but I got mine for $320. You will remember, you get what you pay for!! :mellow: Of course, if you'd rather do the upgrade every couple months to a year, well, you'll soon know what works and what doesn't! :wacko:

btw...cheap as in compared to anything else out there that even comes close to doing what the PN-40 does!

If I have better reception, won't my accuracy improve, too.

I guess I am confused why I couldn't get the same reading 2x or more in my own backyard.

Yes that is true. A higher sensitivity GPSr will pull in stronger signals from probably more satellites so, the accuracy should be as good as a current handheld GPSr's allow. Also another upgrade perk is the newer units go from off-to-satellite-lock WAY faster than your old etrex camo, my cousin has one of those and boy is it ever slow getting a signal lock!

WAAS may or may not help you. I live in Canada and, in the woods I rarely get a WAAS signal. But I've stopped worrying about that lol my accuracy is more than sufficient. We've hid caches and haven't had any complaints from people unable to find it. I have a Vista Cx and my girlfriend has a Vista HCX.

Definitely the Venture HC or the Legend HCx. They will do everything the Camo will and also will acquire a satellite lock much faster. As far as accuracy, in the open there probably won't be much difference, but when in less than ideal situations (like in the woods), the high sensitivity chip will definitely be more accurate. If I had to decide between the two, I would go with the Legend, simply because of the memory card storage for mapping (should you decide you want it later). Which ever one you decide on, you won't be disappointed.