Avast m'hearties!

TaylorBrats

So having just had our first cache published (and found within 15mins of the possibility of doing so!), we're looking to do our second and successives.

We are entertaining the thought of a few islands that could be fun to plant a cache or two on (plus up the difficulty factor), and wondering if that's kosher?

I've read a few posts that talk about it, but I'm wondering if there's certain protocol that needs to be followed in doing one?

Any island cache planters with advice for us?

Thanks!

So having just had our first cache published (and found within 15mins of the possibility of doing so!), we're looking to do our second and successives.

We are entertaining the thought of a few islands that could be fun to plant a cache or two on (plus up the difficulty factor), and wondering if that's kosher?

I've read a few posts that talk about it, but I'm wondering if there's certain protocol that needs to be followed in doing one?

Any island cache planters with advice for us?

Thanks!

any cache that requires special equipment, like a boat, is a terrain 5. Other than that, there are no special protocols other than the usual guideline requirements. The difficulty is based on the finding of the cache, not the traveling to the cache. You could have a difficulty 1 and a terrain 5.

Jim

Edited by jholly

Good idea. Depending upon your area, be prepared for fewer finds. We have a cache on an island in a lake, published last July and found four times. Those who find it are positive and that is what we had expected and hoped for!

jholly's point about difficulty versus terrain is important. Our feeling is that if someone is going to boat out to the island, we want them to find the cache so it is not intended to be difficult (just hidden from muggles). You may want a higher difficulty but either way it is important to separate the two ratings.

You can do a pocket query. Or, for something quick, go to "Hide and Seek a Cache" and search on the keyword "island." Then look at the caches with a terrain of 5. You can get a sense of what people like from the log entries. (Our cache doesn't have the word "island" in it so you would not pick it up this way, and you pick up lots of non-island caches, but I think it's fun to search by keyword).

Good luck!

Bean

I am aware that not everyone (ourselves included) have a boat of their own, or even in most cases ready access to one.

Can't say much without giving it away, but there might be a way around that :) Still investigating...

Also, - assuming it gets approved in roughly the format we envisage, - seeing there will be some effort in getting through the rest of the clues, am contemplating doing it so that you can get to a point with it (the last clue before the cache proper), and maybe have a "nearly made it" logbook, so that those who cant get all the way, but have made the effort to that point, can still have a small victory.

I dont know if that type of thing is allowed, but we have big plans for this Cache! :)

Edited by TaylorBrats