The Garmin 400t

Ok Hello to all, I am new to Geocaching been thinking about it for some time so I went out and bought the Garmin 400t and yes I read many reviews and I do think the display could turn up brighter ..So far the unit has been good with getting me to cachs But sometimes it seems to tell me go one way and then changes its mind?? And no I am not drinking walking sidways wile Geocaching.....SO My question is how happy are you with your Garmin 400t???

I still have two weeks to return it if others work better.. Thanks

Ok Hello to all, I am new to Geocaching been thinking about it for some time so I went out and bought the Garmin 400t and yes I read many reviews and I do think the display could turn up brighter ..So far the unit has been good with getting me to cachs But sometimes it seems to tell me go one way and then changes its mind?? And no I am not drinking walking sidways wile Geocaching.....SO My question is how happy are you with your Garmin 400t???

Which 400t? The Colorado or Oregon?

I have the Colorado and I'm pretty happy with it. I can't comment on the Oregon other than what others say.

Which 400t? The Colorado or Oregon?

I have the Colorado and I'm pretty happy with it. I can't comment on the Oregon other than what others say.

Sorry its the Oregon 400t

I am very happy with my Oregon. I love the paperless caching. You can also download pictures to be used with puzzle caches. Setting up profiles is key. I use one for geocaching and one for navigating roads. It is very nice to easily be able to switch between the 2.

It had several issues when new. Garmin has been very receptive on fixing these issues. I have done several upgrades lately and am now up to version 3.94. Each upgrade has brought better fuctionallity and accuracy. The last four caches that I did were all withing 5 feet of the gps coordinates.

Tarbal

I am very happy with my Oregon. I love the paperless caching. You can also download pictures to be used with puzzle caches. Setting up profiles is key. I use one for geocaching and one for navigating roads. It is very nice to easily be able to switch between the 2.

It had several issues when new. Garmin has been very receptive on fixing these issues. I have done several upgrades lately and am now up to version 3.94. Each upgrade has brought better fuctionallity and accuracy. The last four caches that I did were all withing 5 feet of the gps coordinates.

Tarbal

Thanks just did update will see how it is..It was very close to the coordinates it just would jump from north to south ...Thank again will try this weekend if we are not getting too much rain.....

I had serious doubts until I went ahead and bought my Oregon 400t.

Everyone kept talking about the screen. The first unit I held in my hand I thought I had to agree, and the guy at the counter actually told me thats the best it can do.

Fortunately someone else walked up and realized the one I was looking at was fresh out of the box, he told me how to adjust the screen, and I walked away with a completely positive feeling about it. I ordered one online, and I have no regrets and have had no problem with reading the screen, battery life, or any other problems.

I second what the others have said about the Garmin 400t. With the addition of SCREEN BRIGHTNESS: Even in full sun, I don't have a problem if I just tilt it slightly and viewing is fine. That said, you do have to realize this type of screen does have limitations in high outside light, BUT if you use the tilt method, visibility is just fine, minus perhaps some color intensity. I seem to be able to get within 3-5 feet usually to the find and this is without seeing WAAS (D) in the bars on the strength screen. I do seem to have some problems getting WAAS all the time.

AND, I challenge you to find any product which is being scrutenized and then updates provided by the manufacturer to solve problems and apply inhancements as is the Oregon. Great unit, IMHO. Previous to this I had a Garmin GPS V and loved it too, but with the abilities of the 400t and the paperless caching, it is pretty hard to beat!

I second what the others have said about the Garmin 400t. With the addition of SCREEN BRIGHTNESS: Even in full sun, I don't have a problem if I just tilt it slightly and viewing is fine. That said, you do have to realize this type of screen does have limitations in high outside light, BUT if you use the tilt method, visibility is just fine, minus perhaps some color intensity. I seem to be able to get within 3-5 feet usually to the find and this is without seeing WAAS (D) in the bars on the strength screen. I do seem to have some problems getting WAAS all the time.

AND, I challenge you to find any product which is being scrutenized and then updates provided by the manufacturer to solve problems and apply inhancements as is the Oregon. Great unit, IMHO. Previous to this I had a Garmin GPS V and loved it too, but with the abilities of the 400t and the paperless caching, it is pretty hard to beat!

And with that said i will most likly keep it..Thanks Hope we don't get too much rain on Sat.. :laughing:

I love mine, and like you, have only recently acquired it. However, some of the "jumping around" I attribute to my surroundings at times, i.e., being by a wall, under trees, etc. Could it be this environment? I try to fact in some leeway for these, although at times I wonder whether the caches are where they say they are. Sometimes the information say the cache ISN'T where marked, but nearby...

:laughing:

I have had my Garmin 400t for a week and so far I love it. I was using a Gamin V and it is a great GPS also. Last week I used the Grmin V mounted to the motorcycle for the road roues, and pulled the 400t out for the off road portion. After locating all of the geocaches, I also up loaded some pictures to the SD card to show my boss at work. (He geocaches also) I go tdy for for my company allot, so I am looking forward to using mine for years to come.

Tarbal

I like my oregon 400t to, but can't find newer firmware then the 2.8 version. Where does Tarbal got his 3.94 ??

Edited by Ekoedijk

i have had mine for a week now went out for first time caching yesterday ,wow what a great gps.LOVE MY OREGON 400T,i love how you can set different profiles for each activaty ,such as geocaching,recreation,fitness,marine,automotive,you can set each one up for your taste .the topo maps are the bomb,you can touch anywhere on the screen to get info on the map such as names of mountains places roads,trails everything.with awsome detail & you can set how much detail you want on your map& also have 3d view.i love paperless caching i dont know why i waited so long.you can also wirlessly share your caches ,waypoints ,through wifi.the field notes are awsome too,after you select you found a cache you can set a short hand log note of your find then load them all up on your profile page all together.the only drawback is you can,t delet your finds on oregon you have to go in gpx file when your device is conected to computer and delete the gpx-visits file.i wish garmin would set up a found folder in program software so that you could delet finds much faster.you have to go in gpx file and delet the found caches by gpx code name,which takes time to scroll through all them one at time to delet them from oregon.the screen i have no problems with.having the screen up all the way and on alltime during day and i turn my light down 50% at night ,which does not to me affect battery life.you get great battery life from oregon about 16-18 hours .the expandable micro sd card is great had couple extras lying around from the ones i was using in cell phones.you can upload pics on your oregon too.before i had a garmin etrex vista cx and oregon blows it away,on features and durability.im very shure garmin will keep improving software updates for the oregon series as they done in the past models.before using oregon ,load up software on computer ,set everything up through garmin they update oregon before use.i will always cary a garmin gps.not just for geocaching ,but for every activity i do outdoors,the garmin oregon is a complete all type use gps.

Got a late start today but found two.., GPS was within 2 feet in first and about 6 feet on second .Guess thats not bad..I did the 2.94 upgrade ..Happy so far...OH had a cop help me today. He wanted to know what I was doing walking around back of a Hom> D...Pot store today.Showed him the GPS and he helped me find it!!!

Edited by GeoGorger

Got a late start today but found two.., GPS was within 2 feet in first and about 6 feet on second .Guess thats not bad..I did the 2.94 upgrade ..Happy so far...OH had a cop help me today. He wanted to know what I was doing walking around back of a Hom> D...Pot store today.Showed him the GPS and he helped me find it!!!

Went out today in the rain found four more and my first two coins !!!