Girl Scout troop

hunter83

Hi

After a discusion with my (8yr old) daughters girl scout leader we were trying to figure out a way to do a geocaching project with the troop. Any suggestions of good caches to take them to (Juniata/Hastings NE Area)and any help or ideas would be appreciated. We only have one GPS unit and will have 18 girls. :blink:

Hi

After a discusion with my (8yr old) daughters girl scout leader we were trying to figure out a way to do a geocaching project with the troop. Any suggestions of good caches to take them to (Juniata/Hastings NE Area)and any help or ideas would be appreciated. We only have one GPS unit and will have 18 girls. :blink:

This is a world wide forum. You might have better luck over in the Great Plains forum .

Jim

Edited by jholly

See if you can get an experienced local cacher to help you.

See if you can get someone (Cabelas?) to lend you some more GPS receivers. Maybe enough so you can have small teams of girls with a GPSr for each team.

Consider putting out your own caches in a large park and not listing them for the public but just giving a list of the coordinates to the girls. If there's one or more public caches in the park, maybe include them too.

I highly recommend joining nebraskacache yahoo group, two of nebraska's best cachers live in the hasting area.

Also, please talk to your county extension office, Lancaster county has gps'r available for loan

I you have any other question, feel free to contact me

Does anyone know if the cumberland county extension office has these available to borrow?

I think this would be a cool project for the 4-H to pick up and let kids carry as a project.

Hi

After a discusion with my (8yr old) daughters girl scout leader we were trying to figure out a way to do a geocaching project with the troop. Any suggestions of good caches to take them to (Juniata/Hastings NE Area)and any help or ideas would be appreciated. We only have one GPS unit and will have 18 girls. :D

Check with your council's outdoor program manager, a lot of the scout councils have EQ that they lend or rent to their troops. They may also run geocaching events at some of your council properties! (I know that our council has a half dozen units, and have run a couple of all age-level events at our different camps.)

You can also see if you can't hook up with the boy scout troop of one of your girls older brothers, or even contact your local BS council for troops that might be able to help .. a lot of them also have units and participate, and may very well have leaders and/or older scouts that are always looking for easy ways to get leadership hours :D

That's actually a pretty good idea.. My son's Cub Scout group has an overnite camp coming up in 2 months, and this could be a fun den activity. need to start talking tothe park officials now tough, as Anoka County, MN doesn't allow any caches in their parks without a permit..

That's actually a pretty good idea.. My son's Cub Scout group has an overnite camp coming up in 2 months, and this could be a fun den activity. need to start talking tothe park officials now tough, as Anoka County, MN doesn't allow any caches in their parks without a permit..

I'm also a Scout leader from MN and if you attend Cub Resident camp (or Polar Cubs) at Phillipo Scout Reservation the Webelos do some GPS/Geocaching type activities.

Tommcd - We will eventually get there.. Boy is in 3rd grade this year, so it'll be a bit before we get to a longer camp.. It'd be easier if his summers weren't already full with travel to see the grandparents and sports, and wrestling camp... *sigh* I don't remember being this busy when I was that little...