Multi-level Geocache

nfa

I haven't been in these forums in a while, and just wanted to check about a few things concerning a geocache that I would like to make.

I would like to do a mystery cache with (at least) 3 potential avenues of discovery:

1) The first would be a encryption/puzzle task (mental challenge), the solution of which would yield the final coordinates.

2) The second would be a multi-stage terrain/environment task (physical challenge), the completion of which would bring the cacher to the final coordinates.

3) The third would be a podcast-driven task (technological challenge), , the completion of which would bring the cacher to the final coordinates.

I have read through some of the myriad threads about podcaches, and am confident that potential issues can be avoided because:

i) the cache can be found without going the mp3 route at all

ii) people don't need to login to/join any site to download the mp3 file

I would appreciate any constructive input that you have...which means that, "you're stupid to even ask, podcaches aren't allowed" and "GC.com is stupid not to allow podcaches" are not welcome/useful as replies.

Thanks,

Jamie - nfa

That sounds very interesting but the podcache thing is going to be difficult to get past the reviewers if it requires downloading any files or players or plug-ins to listen to the podcast.

Nobody has to download anything, people can choose which of the 3 routes they wish to go in finding the cache:

1) puzzle/encryption

2) multi-stage physical challenge

3) podcache

So 3 different cachers could each choose to solve it in a different manner...

Jamie - nfa

Edited by NFA

Sort of depends on just what your definition of "requires" is??

Maybe I'm being dense, how does it depend?

You can find the cache without downloading anything if you don't own a player or don't trust the interweb.

Jamie - nfa

Sort of depends on just what your definition of "requires" is??

Maybe I'm being dense, how does it depend?

You can find the cache without downloading anything if you don't own a player or don't trust the interweb.

Jamie - nfa

That particular branch of the puzzle may not pass muster as it requires a download of some kind to occur. I know that is only 1 of 3 possible ways to do it but that part does in some way 'require' a download and may therefore not pass muster - just sayin.....

What's wrong with requiring an .mp3 to be downloaded by cache hunters? Dark Side of the Park (GCQ0RP) requires that you listen to an mp3 that gives you directions to the final. If you don't want to risk downloading it, then you don't have to do the cache.

As for the OP's question, I say go for it! Sounds excellent, multiple routes to the cache. I'd probably go for the puzzle, but that's just me. =)

Just from my experience in the forums I think it would fly. Getting it past a reviewer who isn't that up on the "guidelines" is a different story.

The reason I think it would fly is you have three different, separate and distinct paths. Any one path would get the seeker from the cache page to the cache logbook without needing to even touch on the other two paths. If someone doesn't want to download a MP3, they don't have to and still do the cache.

One other sticking point is the MP3 file would need to be hosted on a public site.

Hope it goes smoothly for you.