iPhone 3G Geocaching app troubles

tormodg

(Someone please move this to where it belongs - I see no support forum for the iPhone apps)

OK, so I thought $9.99 was allright for an app for getting an easy list of geocaches around me wherever I am, mostly for urban use.

I use a Garmin 705 GPS usually (my bike GPS) but for trips with my family etc I figured it would be useful to have this app, too, to find more caches nearby when we're around. My kids love geocaching.

I noticed that a lot of people had problems with this app at iTunes, but the number of people giving it 4 and 5 stars vastly outnumbered the negatives so I figured 10 bucks isn't the end of the world.

But...it simply doesn't work for me at all. It starts up, apparently finds my location, then says "connecting" with a spinning wheel...then it crashes and kicks me back to the iPhone desktop.

I have followed the instructions on the geocaching.com support site about redownloading, turning off my iPhone etc - but I get the exact same behaviour no matter what I do.

I have a brand new iPhone 3G 16GB, fully "legal" (not jailbroken or anything). Location services are turned on (the app tells me if it's not). Navigation works fine with the regular maps app. <_<

Can anyone help? :laughing:

(Someone please move this to where it belongs - I see no support forum for the iPhone apps)

OK, so I thought $9.99 was allright for an app for getting an easy list of geocaches around me wherever I am, mostly for urban use.

I use a Garmin 705 GPS usually (my bike GPS) but for trips with my family etc I figured it would be useful to have this app, too, to find more caches nearby when we're around. My kids love geocaching.

I noticed that a lot of people had problems with this app at iTunes, but the number of people giving it 4 and 5 stars vastly outnumbered the negatives so I figured 10 bucks isn't the end of the world.

But...it simply doesn't work for me at all. It starts up, apparently finds my location, then says "connecting" with a spinning wheel...then it crashes and kicks me back to the iPhone desktop.

I have followed the instructions on the geocaching.com support site about redownloading, turning off my iPhone etc - but I get the exact same behaviour no matter what I do.

I have a brand new iPhone 3G 16GB, fully "legal" (not jailbroken or anything). Location services are turned on (the app tells me if it's not). Navigation works fine with the regular maps app. :rolleyes:

Can anyone help? :unsure:

Had the exact same thing start happening to me this evening. Worked fine until about 3 am, and then while out caching it won't get past the connecting/ locating sequence. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it. No Good. Uninstalled in, shut down phone, reinstalled. No Good. Even tried hard quitting the app with the home key to no avail. I hope it's a server issue and not my phone, but if it is a server issue, a little explanation would be nice. Ruined a night of geocaching for my group.

I hope it's a server issue and not my phone, but if it is a server issue, a little explanation would be nice. Ruined a night of geocaching for my group.

Yeah maybe it could be a server issue, didn't think of that. The app crashes as soon as it tries to contact it (for example if I go to settings and enter my geocaching.com username/password).

Using my 705 today but I hope this is fixed ASAP. :rolleyes:

I hope it's a server issue and not my phone, but if it is a server issue, a little explanation would be nice. Ruined a night of geocaching for my group.

Yeah maybe it could be a server issue, didn't think of that. The app crashes as soon as it tries to contact it (for example if I go to settings and enter my geocaching.com username/password).

Using my 705 today but I hope this is fixed ASAP. :rolleyes:

I'll bee curious to see how many people this is affecting. Maybe it's the start of an epidemic.

Just tried app in airplane mode as well, just boots me out after trying to load the app. Can't just be a server problem can it?

I have recently purchased the iPhone geocaching application from the iTunes store. After one day of battling, trying to get the application to display information about caches without crashing, it now refuses to even start up.

As it is now in a state whereby it cannot function in any regard, it fails to meet up to any of the list of features for which it is advertised. Therefore, I formally request a refund under my statutory rights regarding items purchased that are unfit for purpose.

I have read your forums regarding potential remedies for the situation I find myself in. I have a 3G iPhone which has not been "jailbroken", I have tried hard-resetting and restoring the phone, removing the application completely and reinstalling both directly from the Apps application on the phone and via iTunes. None of these attempts has fixed the problem. I therefore consider I have made all reasonable attempts to resolve the situation.

Please contact me to arrange the manner in which my refund will be provided.

Yeah, I think it's a server glitch. It's always worked fine on my Touch and this morning when I pulled it up, it kicks back to the icon screen when it goes to find caches.

I experienced the same. Worked fine for some time now. Did some caching yersterday, but this morning the application would not start. Except when looking up some favorits.

Yeah, I think it's a server glitch. It's always worked fine on my Touch and this morning when I pulled it up, it kicks back to the icon screen when it goes to find caches.

I experienced the same. Worked fine for some time now. Did some caching yersterday, but this morning the application would not start. Except when looking up some favorits.

It has been solved! Works fine again.

Same here, just bought the app today and it never ran.

After the question "Geocaching would like to use your location" the app crashes back to the Springboard.

It does not matter if I press "Don't allow" or "OK" or just wait 3 seconds, it just crashes.

Completely unusable product for one of the higher prices in the app store, a big disappointment.

Does anybody know of a support forum or email?

dfense

It starts up, apparently finds my location, then says "connecting" with a spinning wheel...then it crashes and kicks me back to the iPhone desktop.

Exactly the same thing happened to me this morning. Later in the afternoon it was working again.

Same thing happened to me over the weekend. Found my first cache on Thursday (go me!) with the iPhone app, and wanted to poke around and find more on the weekend.. and then the crashing started. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Geocaching app, but that didn't fix it. Then I read about uninstalling/reinstalling winterboard, but I don't have that installed. I did have BossPrefs installed though. I did a bit of poking around and found a button in the BossPrefs "More" menu called "Fix User Dir Permissions". I hit that, and bam, the Geocaching app worked again.

I don't know if it was just crazy timing and I was crashing because of the server issues other people have talked about, or if it was because there was some kind of permissions problem with the old/corrupt/whatever database for the Geocaching app on my phone, but clicking Fix User Dir Permissions in BossPrefs worked for me.

I have made no changes but now it seems to be working fine. I took it out in the field today and had no issues finding three caches with my 5yr old daughter.

The quality if the iPhone as a GPS navigator is dubious so our Edge 705 was necessary - but for finding the next cache to visit the Groundspeak app is brilliant! Just hope it keeps working for me.

(FWIW I have a non-hacked iPhone)

I am also experiencing the same thing... I'm running the newest version of the geocaching app on the iPhone 3G with OS 3.0, and it sits on the splash screen for a while before going back to the iPhone's home screen. Although the app used to work, it's now completely unusable.