New web page for Geocacher-friendly accomodation

When traveling or making vacation plans I would love to stay in/near Geocacher-friendly places. Searching for those on the Internet is quite some work so we simply started a new web page and linked multiple domains to it:

www.bedandcachefast.com - www.bedandcachefest.com - www.cachotel.com

So far we do not have many entries and we are hoping for your recommendations. If you have a favorite place to stay for caching, please consider posting an answer here and/or make it an entry. So far all services of this web page are free and we'll keep it that way as long as we can afford it...

The minimum "features" we would expect from an accommodation to qualify as "Geocacher-friendly":

Links to local bookmark lists or recommended caches and preferably a local Geocacher as contact person.

Please ensure that recommended caches / bookmarks should be "above average" - I know its difficult to find a common rule as to what is "above average" - just keep in mind that some Geocachers might travel really far for recommended places and a single magnetic film canister behind a sign might not "reach the desired satisfactory level"... :laughing:

Olaf

Bump. I am bumping this thread because I notice it has gone without a single reply for over 5.5 hours.

I notice that you (the OP) are located in Europe. I suspect that your idea, while kinda neat on the surface, would be largely superfluous and irrelevant in the USA, due largely to the incredibly high cache density in most areas, and also due to the rather circumscribed and limited, and realistic, expectations that Americans tend to have about hotels and motels.

I also notice that you are located in Germany. Due to your proximity to Bavaria, I cannot help but be suspicious that perhaps your new "geo-friendly hotels" websites are nothing more than fronts for the nefarious Bavarian Illuminati and their New World Order conspiracy. In fact, I am gonna worry about that possibility for the rest of the day, until and unless I receive a notarized declaration from you in which you explicitly state that your new websites are totally free of Illuminati affiliations and agendas.

A man can't be too careful about the Illuminati and the New World Order conspiracy, you know.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Are you serious?

Upon first reading, I had briefly thought (well, hoped) that your post was directed at me, but upon closer perusal, I discovered that you had not quoted my post, and therefore, that meant that you were responding to the OPs's original post. I cannot answer for her/him, and I hope that he/she will respond to your query at some point. Interestingly, your response to this thread was the same as that of some local cachers, each of whom said to me, in effect: "Is that poster serious? Who cares about whether a hotel is "geocacher friendly"?", and so, you are not alone in your reaction.

I'm a bit baffled by this concept as well, especially this:

The minimum "features" we would expect from an accommodation to qualify as "Geocacher-friendly":

Links to local bookmark lists or recommended caches and preferably a local Geocacher as contact person.

What does that even mean? Do you expect a hotel to create bookmark lists?

Personally, I'd be more interested in knowing if, for example, they had WiFi available.

Personally, I'd be more interested in knowing if, for example, they had WiFi available.

Yep, pretty much my thoughts as well, especially for American users, because we Americans do not seem to expect too much beyond decent lodging and perhaps a good wireless connection from hotels.

We don't have a favorite cache listing, bookmarks, or a Point of Contact. We do however have a favorite vacation spot for geocaching. We like to stay in Bedford, VA which is about a 3 hour drive for us. Bedford itself does not have that many caches, but near-by Lynchburg and Roanoke do. There's also some in the near-by mountains. You can get a good mix of rural and urban caches. Bedford is a friendly small city with some decent restaurants. The National D-Day Memorial is in Bedford and a visit there is higher recommended. Several good wineries are not far away. We particularly like Hickory Hill Vinyards near Smith Mountain Lake. Bedford's a good spot to get away from it all.

Bump. I am bumping this thread because I notice it has gone without a single reply for over 5.5 hours.

I notice that you (the OP) are located in Europe. I suspect that your idea, while kinda neat on the surface, would be largely superfluous and irrelevant in the USA, due largely to the incredibly high cache density in most areas, and also due to the rather circumscribed and limited, and realistic, expectations that Americans tend to have about hotels and motels.

I also notice that you are located in Germany. Due to your proximity to Bavaria, I cannot help but be suspicious that perhaps your new "geo-friendly hotels" websites are nothing more than fronts for the nefarious Bavarian Illuminati and their New World Order conspiracy. In fact, I am gonna worry about that possibility for the rest of the day, until and unless I receive a notarized declaration from you in which you explicitly state that your new websites are totally free of Illuminati affiliations and agendas.

A man can't be too careful about the Illuminati and the New World Order conspiracy, you know.

ROTFL

Thanks for bumping - at least some action for this thread.

I didn't know about the Bavarian New World Order conspiracy - our motive was much more simple, we wanted to start our OWN New World Order conspiracy... :D

Olaf

That is why Internet Access is one of the parameters of an entry to the data base.

And of course I would not expect a hotel to create a bookmark list. When I travel somewhere there are typically "too many" caches to do them all - so I would love to have recommendations from local cachers: what are the memorable caches in this area.

So preferably local cachers are behind entries to say "if you visit this area, this is a place I can recommend and here is my bookmark list with most memorable caches in the area". That's why we would prefer to have a local Geocaching contact in the listings - of course a recommendation from someone who caches for many years and has done lots of caches would mean more to me than a new pupsocket account...

Olaf

I would have problems with their hosting service - serverkompetenz dot net.

WAY TOO Many spamming IPs and Hackers on their servers for me.

Sorry, this is not "really" in our control - of course we have a choice in regards to hosting services - but moving is a lot of work (we already did this a few times). This particular one we use

http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/

has won several awards and with 200 employees in customer service is "not a small one". So please understand that this one post does not immediately make us jump ship and look for another provider.

Olaf

ROTFL

Thanks for bumping - at least some action for this thread.

I didn't know about the Bavarian New World Order conspiracy - our motive was much more simple, we wanted to start our OWN New World Order conspiracy... <_<

Olaf

Thank you for your reply, but I do not feel that the sinister plot of the Bavarian Illuminati and their collusion with the alien grays, the alien reptoid reptilian shapeshifters, the Holy See at the Vatican and insiders at Buckingham Palace to advance the cause of the New World Order conspiracy is a laughing matter.

Rather, I find your glib admission of your part in such a conspiracy to be both frightening and banal at the same time, and I would report your sinister New World Order activities to Interpol, the FBI, the CIA and MI6 in a split second but for the fact that I am fully aware that these agencies have long been silent partners in your sinister New World Order conspiracy to take over the world and to harvest humans, under the aegis of the New World Order, so that their bodies may be used to synthesize alien plastics destined to be used in the outer casing of space alien GPS receivers. Aarrrgggh! This plot sickens me! And so do sinister New World Order plotters such as yourself!

I cannot believe that Groundspeak is allowing you to advertise your three sinister websites on this site, knowing full well that the only purpose of your sites is to steer innocent geocachers into the arms of their space alien abductors who are working hand in hand with the Illuminati. Shame on you!

AAARRRRGGGGHHH!

I'm not fussy - just need a clean room in good condition, a TV set, and free WiFi.

However, one important thing to satisfy when traveling is my tummy. I would be most interested in listings of good restaurants.

Heck, at the end of a long caching day, with 400+ miles added onto the odometer, I'm happy for just a bed, forget the TV and WiFi! <_<

Though I usually end up camping on the long road trips. Saves money... and Vinny has a much harder time beaming brainwashing signals into a tent.

Edited by Sioneva

I would have problems with their hosting service - serverkompetenz dot net.

WAY TOO Many spamming IPs and Hackers on their servers for me.

Sorry, this is not "really" in our control - of course we have a choice in regards to hosting services - but moving is a lot of work (we already did this a few times). This particular one we use

http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/

has won several awards and with 200 employees in customer service is "not a small one". So please understand that this one post does not immediately make us jump ship and look for another provider.

Olaf

This wasn't suppose to make you "jump ship", only to let you know who is hosting your service.

As far as "awards" go, I can show you plenty of site log entries to the contrary.

I would rate them right up there with ThePlanet hosting provider.

...Though I usually end up camping on the long road trips. Saves money... and Vinny has a much harder time beaming brainwashing signals into a tent.

Not any more. I just developed a device in my lab that will allow me to eavesdrop on you, and brainwash you, even in your tent. In fact, just yesterday I used my time-space portal to go back to February 2, 1959, to a spot in the northern Ural mountains called Dyatlov Pass, where nine ski hikers were camping overnite in tents. Once I got there, I proceeded to test the improved version of the device. Unfortunately, I turned up the power on the device just a wee tad too far, and they all got cooked and kinda mangled, like, really gross, and their (dead) bodies are highly radioactive to this day. I promise to be more careful next time.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team