Newbie, please help

K_bob

I'm a first timer.

Found a nearby cashe and took my son for a walk. We couldn't find it? I was apparently within 3 meters and we searched everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

We had a very disappointed little boy here :anibad:

Please tell me some of the tricks to finding cashes?

I'm a first timer.

Found a nearby cashe and took my son for a walk. We couldn't find it? I was apparently within 3 meters and we searched everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Trick 1: If your just starting out, don't look for micros

Trick 2: If your just starting out look for smalls and regulars

Trick 3: If your just starting out look for 1 to at most a 2 star difficulty

Trick 4: When your GPS says your standing on top of it, your probably not

Think about where you would hide a cache and look there, your liable to find one there.

Jim

I'm a first timer.

Trick 1: If your just starting out, don't look for micros

Trick 2: If your just starting out look for smalls and regulars

Trick 3: If your just starting out look for 1 to at most a 2 star difficulty

Trick 4: When your GPS says your standing on top of it, your probably not

Think about where you would hide a cache and look there, your liable to find one there.

Jim

I'm New at this too. The cache's are camouflaged to blend in. Look for something that stands out. LOL, now that was funny. Your going to have to focus. When your gps says your there, look 20-30 ft around. You'll find it. Just look for something that dosnt belong..... and most of all, Have Fun.

I too very new to the game 6 finds 4 just today-2 not sure. Learning a little as I go. Look at the logs of the cache. If you see a bunch of sad faces saying did'nt find expecially by some one who has alot of finds may want to avoid or go check for yourself and report back, but don't expect the best. Also I re-calibrate my compass everytime out. Once when I leave my house and once more when I get out of the car. Also on my gps on setup I set my unit setting to WGS 84 more percise. I intially was thinking exact science, not so. I have a garmin etrex summit $100 set up and I get dang close but not exact 1-3ft. From there just start looking in everything. You can also check your gps by marking a waypoint of a bucket or something in your yard then go around the corner and try to go back to it looking at your gps and the ground and see how close you get. Also read what your looking for and even use the decrypt and get the hint. Load up the kids grab what you need for the cache and head out the door. I hate making the kids cry when we can't find them either. I've also tried to e-mail the cache placer to see if they have the current status before I go out. Remember make sure what your looking for and what you need to do and sometimes a story of good times may contain the hint and look all around and if nothing try to contact the lister of the cache and if no response try to contact some of those who found it and ask them questions. Also remember and I'm trying to have the web site come up with a solution is that some of the caches are listed never maintained probably gone,lister never responds and were probably looking for nothing like I think my last place I went too. Good luck,hope this helps.

Olaveson

I think I need to find someone and go with them a time or two. I'm having difficulty with some of the clues. One said to follow the arrow but I couldn't find anything remotely like an arrow to save my life. I'm just frustrated, we were out for 5 hrs and after searching for three very active caches, we've come home empty handed. I guess I still don't know what I'm looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Is your GPS receiver set to the WGS84 datum? Your coordinates will be off if you are using any other datum. You could also seek out experienced geocachers in your area to go out with you to show you some of the tricks of the game. Most areas have a local geocaching organization that may be helpful. Don't give up and happy caching! :anibad:

Know your GPS! Find out how to use it.

I go Geocaching with a notebook filled with different caches grouped in the same area. Set a time (like 10-15 mins) and if you can't find it when time is up, go find another one and come back another day.

Bring along more than one set of adult eyes.

Go for easy caches. Read the comments, usually you can get hints that way. And decrypt the hint if possible.

GPS aren't always 100% accurate due to weather, the GPS unit, or interference (trees/cars, etc.) so look in a good 20 foot radius.

Don't get discouraged. Start with the larger sized caches, easier rating and terrain as well as caches that have a lot of recent finds. Double check the cords on the gps unit and look for the "out of place". Now having said all that you need to think of where you might hide something when you get to the general area. I am new to this and probably should be the last person giving advise. This same advise was given to me when I was frustrated and I thought "yeah right" but by golly it works. Most of all enjoy the hunt and as in all sports sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. You aren't going to find them all all the time. Good luck and relax. Maybe find the first without the little one only to return with the little one later so they can find it.

Lassen

Well.....

Don't know where to start. We had our third day of disapointment. I spoke to someone who found a cache we had searched for, I asked them about the arrow clue and was told there is a sign with an arrow on it???? We couldn't find it. I also had another cacher check my GPS and all seams to be ago there.

So, after another day with a pissy teenager and cranky kidletts, we've decided to quit. This hasn't been fun for the family even though it was nice to get out and do some hikeing, the kids all said they have not had any fun and don't want to go out again.

Thank for your help but I'm done.

Cheers