info on HP Ipaq for paperless

I saw somewhere on here about someone using the Ipaq and am thinking about getting one. It sounds like iit would be really nice to use for paperless caching. Any help would be grateful The one I have in mind is the HP Ipaq Hx 2490B.

I use that one and I know 3 or 4 others who also use it. I use Cachemate and really like the features that the Windows Mobile version offers over the Palm version. I especially like the voice note options. I can record a voice note while walking away from a cache, whereas entering one on the keyboard/handwriting is nearly impossible while walking (at least for me). The 2490B is a little slow if you have a large database, but it works. I especially like the embedded wifi and bluetooth, allowing me to use my bluetooth GPSr to find the nearest cache to where I currently am (within Cachemate). It is also nice to use an SD card as well as a Compact Flash card at the same time.

One side note. The 2490b does have a reputation for the wifi card going bad. I have read that probably 2 out of 3 will go bad within 1.5-2 years of use. Mine went out in about that same time frame, but I still use it.

Not exactly sure what you expecting for advice. The iPaq's work good although they seem to have a problem with their wifi hardware either built in or external card. Also, I have heard and am about to find out for myself, connecting to a Vista PC can be difficult to get the connection working.

I started with a 1910 myself and currently use a 2410. MOST IMPORTANT THING is, keep the 1910 charged or you will have to reload the unit from scratch. It uses volatile memory and if it loses all the power it loses everything. The 2400 series uses static memory for the programs so even f it loses all the battery power, it just needs to be recharged

I use the PPC version of cachemate. When the database gets big it gets slow. Two ways to handle this. keep the database size down by keeping the number of caches to about 1200 - 1500. Keep the number of log entries down to 5. You can only get more then 5 logs with each cache if you keep a offline database using GSAK, which I highly recommend.

With the 1910, you may want to keep the database even smaller, I used GPXSonar (no longer supported) with the 1910 which worked good for PQ's because it got really really slow above 500 caches.

We're using a Compaq IPAQ 3850, which has ppc 2003. Works great with GPX Sonar/View, Ozi Explorer, Tomtom navigator and Beeline. It has bluetooth connection which we use with the bt gps module. We just had to buy a new battery at the e-place and got it running very, very smoothly.

From the tests we've done, Cachemate is faster than gpx view and sonar, even with the lack of power of our pda. Still, it's a nice to have.

You have to be patient when posting for advise. I only just saw this post myself.

I was a long time user of the IPaq. I have no problems with the wireless or any function of this PDA. It was my mainstay for years when I was consulting for desktop and network support and when I ultimately landed a full time job with the same company I was consulting on. They are a very reliable device.

I used GPXSonar on it, and like GPXview, I had drag and drop capability of the GPX file to the PDA. Windows treats it like an external storage device negating the need for third party software to translate the program to a compatible format. This made the ease of use difference (I used a Palm as well) as different as night and day is to each other. I eliminated more problems I had with the Palm format by moving to the Windows Mobile format.

The only limiting factor was the ROM. It was small enough I had to make sure the GPX file did not overwhelm the onboard memory and fail to load as a result.

It has a long battery life and the screen was bright enough to read in most situations. Just make sure you keep the battery charged or it loses the programs installed on it and you have to go through that entire process all over again.

I even bought an aluminum case to help protect it on my hikes.

Why don't I use it anymore? I upgraded to a Tilt for an all-in-one device to handle all of my communication needs.

Here's the one I own.

Edited by TotemLake

Not exactly sure what you expecting for advice. The iPaq's work good although they seem to have a problem with their wifi hardware either built in or external card. Also, I have heard and am about to find out for myself, connecting to a Vista PC can be difficult to get the connection working.

I started with a 1910 myself and currently use a 2410. MOST IMPORTANT THING is, keep the 1910 charged or you will have to reload the unit from scratch. It uses volatile memory and if it loses all the power it loses everything. The 2400 series uses static memory for the programs so even f it loses all the battery power, it just needs to be recharged

I use the PPC version of cachemate. When the database gets big it gets slow. Two ways to handle this. keep the database size down by keeping the number of caches to about 1200 - 1500. Keep the number of log entries down to 5. You can only get more then 5 logs with each cache if you keep a offline database using GSAK, which I highly recommend.

With the 1910, you may want to keep the database even smaller, I used GPXSonar (no longer supported) with the 1910 which worked good for PQ's because it got really really slow above 500 caches.

Thanks you , so when you say GPXsonar no longer supported, which should I use? and more to the point how do I do it. I guess I need to wait until I get it and them ask questions, like how do I get GPX and do I still use cachmate? I was kind of hoping I could just use Geo caching .com like I do on my laptop. and it would load the same way. I hope I can figure it out when I get it. Thanks again, I mean it, it is nice to talk to someone who has used the 1910.

Thanks you , so when you say GPXsonar no longer supported, which should I use? and more to the point how do I do it. I guess I need to wait until I get it and them ask questions, like how do I get GPX and do I still use cachmate? I was kind of hoping I could just use Geo caching .com like I do on my laptop. and it would load the same way. I hope I can figure it out when I get it. Thanks again, I mean it, it is nice to talk to someone who has used the 1910.

Just because GPXSonar is unsupported doesn't mean it isn't a bad program. The developer burned out and left the game. I still use it on my smartphone, but with the paperless feature of the PN-40 now available, this is becoming superfluous for my needs.

Well I figured it out. way cool. Instead of putting all of the PQ's in one I have split them in to small groups in the different areas I am going to be going to. I think I will be on the look out for a newer iPAQ, this is a very nice way to go paperless. The newer ones also have GPS, wonder how they are compared to others.

You have to be patient when posting for advise. I only just saw this post myself.

I was a long time user of the IPaq. I have no problems with the wireless or any function of this PDA. It was my mainstay for years when I was consulting for desktop and network support and when I ultimately landed a full time job with the same company I was consulting on. They are a very reliable device.

I used GPXSonar on it, and like GPXview, I had drag and drop capability of the GPX file to the PDA. Windows treats it like an external storage device negating the need for third party software to translate the program to a compatible format. This made the ease of use difference (I used a Palm as well) as different as night and day is to each other. I eliminated more problems I had with the Palm format by moving to the Windows Mobile format.

The only limiting factor was the ROM. It was small enough I had to make sure the GPX file did not overwhelm the onboard memory and fail to load as a result.

It has a long battery life and the screen was bright enough to read in most situations. Just make sure you keep the battery charged or it loses the programs installed on it and you have to go through that entire process all over again.

Why don't I use it anymore? I upgraded to a Tilt for an all-in-one device to handle all of my communication needs.

Here's the one I own.

Hi thanks for the help. I am now thinking about getting the4350 due to the fact that it is wireless. does it do ok for that? I am not really sure if I am going to like the 1910, is the 4350 alot better? any help would be nice. Thanks

Here's the one I own.

Hi thanks for the help. I am now thinking about getting the4350 due to the fact that it is wireless. does it do ok for that? I am not really sure if I am going to like the 1910, is the 4350 alot better? any help would be nice. Thanks

I don't know how they compare to each other. My experience with the 4350 is nothing but good. The wireless was very capable and easy to set up. I did Remote Desktop to the server I managed as well as my PC when I needed specific situations to be handled on the fly.

The Bluetooth connected with no problems. I also have a BT GPS mouse that worked great with the Pocket Streets and Trips on several occasions to help me navigate out of bad traffic situations through neighborhoods I didn't know. No routing capability, but all I needed was to see a clear way to the next throughway.

Here's the one I own.

I don't know how they compare to each other. My experience with the 4350 is nothing but good. The wireless was very capable and easy to set up. I did Remote Desktop to the server I managed as well as my PC when I needed specific situations to be handled on the fly.

The Bluetooth connected with no problems. I also have a BT GPS mouse that worked great with the Pocket Streets and Trips on several occasions to help me navigate out of bad traffic situations through neighborhoods I didn't know. No routing capability, but all I needed was to see a clear way to the next throughway.

thanks, I do apprieciate it. Is $100.00 to much to pay for one in good shape? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. Just wondering. Seems I am putting quite a bit of $ out for this little hobby. But that is what I do. Thanks for getting back to me.

thanks, I do apprieciate it. Is $100.00 to much to pay for one in good shape? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. Just wondering. Seems I am putting quite a bit of $ out for this little hobby. But that is what I do. Thanks for getting back to me.

I'd call that a reasonable price. i wouldn't go higher than this considering the technology is about 4 maybe 5 years old now and you cannot upgrade past Mobile 2003. Check Ebay and see what they have to offer there too.

There is something else to consider about using some PPCs as well. Most of them come built in with a voice rcorder. Using this one button ability to note your find beats writing notes when you're out looking for several in a day. The 4350 has that capability. I also outfitted mine with a stylus that was also a pen so I had some way of writing in the log when I forgot my standard space pen.

Edited by TotemLake

I'm using a 1910 for caching with GPXSonar. I've tried Cachmate and much prefer GPXSonar. When you get your 1910 you'll need the early version of GPXSonar as the later versions won't work.

If your referring to the freezing issue with certain caches, it is caused by blank description field, either long or short will stop the program from continuing until you direct it somewhere else, ie select another cache and view the hint. I and a few others wrote macros for GSAK to parse the gpx files and add a character to any blank description fields. This prevents the problem from occurring.