Geocaching Fundraising?

Hi guys

I'm rather new to geocaching (first heard of it 3 weeks ago) but I intend to be participating in the fun of geocaching for many years to come!

I have a query regarding the rules / guidelines of geocaching.

Basically I'm thinking about doing a geocaching sponsored challenge as a fundraising event for a charity, my idea is to go out with a small group of friends and the group of us would set off to bagging as many caches as we can in a limited period of time (24hrs for instance). This would involve us planning our routes, gathering as many clues as possible with all the cache we intend to tackle, and dividing the group when we come across caches that some of the cachers have already found previously.

However before I do this, I want to check with everyone. My friend who's up for doing it was concerned that perhaps geocaching is meant to be a secret society (like the Stone Cutters), and for us to ask for sponsorship money from friends and colleagues is basically to expose the concept of geocaching to many people.

Is this the case at all?

I mean for the challenge itself, the reason I want to have a small group of us to do the challenge is to not attract muggle attentions either. We ruled out fancy dress (pirates plundering for treasure, yarrr!) for the challenge for that very same reason.

Could anyone advice me on this matter please? Thank you! <_<

Hi guys

I'm rather new to geocaching (first heard of it 3 weeks ago) but I intend to be participating in the fun of geocaching for many years to come!

I have a query regarding the rules / guidelines of geocaching.

Basically I'm thinking about doing a geocaching sponsored challenge as a fundraising event for a charity, my idea is to go out with a small group of friends and the group of us would set off to bagging as many caches as we can in a limited period of time (24hrs for instance). This would involve us planning our routes, gathering as many clues as possible with all the cache we intend to tackle, and dividing the group when we come across caches that some of the cachers have already found previously.

However before I do this, I want to check with everyone. My friend who's up for doing it was concerned that perhaps geocaching is meant to be a secret society (like the Stone Cutters), and for us to ask for sponsorship money from friends and colleagues is basically to expose the concept of geocaching to many people.

Is this the case at all?

I mean for the challenge itself, the reason I want to have a small group of us to do the challenge is to not attract muggle attentions either. We ruled out fancy dress (pirates plundering for treasure, yarrr!) for the challenge for that very same reason.

Could anyone advice me on this matter please? Thank you! <_<

Aside from the what was presented as the only question and the major question, this post gives rise to just soooo many issues and concerns that I cannot bear to attempt to respond, beyond pointing out that there are a number of issues that arise, and wondering if anyone else has noticed them.

Lastly, a word of advice to the OP: if you are really thinking of attempting, with a bunch of friends, a 24 hour cache hunting spree, I would strongly advise -- and for manifold reasons -- that you hold off until each of you has at least about 150 to 200 finds under your belt.

As for the main question and all the other issues... ouch!

A geocaching event or cache itself cannot have any type of agenda attached to it, including "good causes" such as fundraising. So there should be no solicitation at an event or cache page.

And as secretive as we are about our sport/hobby, we are not like the freemasons.

Though a secret handshake or signal could be cool!

Actually Geocaching is a blending of teachings from the Order of the Illuminati, Freemasonry and Societas Jesu. There are many 'levels' and I believe you should consult directly with the exalted one for guidance before you start your quest.

As a secret member of The Priory of Sion, I must take offense with your blending of 'Cachin'" and the Illum........OOOOOOOOOPS!

Nevermind.

207.gif

...Though a secret handshake or signal could be cool!

Raises a point I've been curious about. Any of you ever have a hard time finding the 'group' when you arrive at a Meet-n-Greet or other type gathering of cachers? Never has for me. Geocachers seem to have a certain look about them....and as odd or ironic as it might sound, 'the look' that always comes to my mind is 'Lost'.

Ergo, dunno why we'd need any kinda secret handshake, etc. I just look for the ones who 'look kinda lost'. <_<

~*