Help me understand

DK Dogs

I am fairly new to this so forgive any stupid questions here.....

I have spend several hours on this site reading and studying different cache types etc... I have seen some that just seem impossible. When I hid my cache I did it so that it was not in the open, but wouldnt take hours to try to find it but a little hard looking. SO I guess I am asking how far is to far in hiding a cache?

Thanks,

Dave

As long as the cache is rated properly there is no such thing as too far. Most geocachers hide caches with the intent that they be found. Some however enjoy hiding caches that are a challenge to find and some geocachers enjoy the challenge of finding them.

It can be frustrating, or annoying to hunt a cache that is rated improperly. Many of us have spent an hour on a "1.5 star difficulty" cache and found a "5 star difficulty" cache in 5 minutes.

There isn't much you can do about it other than being honest in your log and hope the owner takes the feedback into consideration.

fuller response:

there are hard hides that are just stupid: there's no art to them.

but if you've ever found a really hard cache that gave you that elusive "a-ha!" moment, you will understand the pull of hard caches.

there's no joy for me in hunting up a film canister tossed randomly into a huge rockpile, but a well-concealed cache is a thrill ride. something easy to see, but hard to recognize, or something that's out-of proportion and just doesn't fit. hiding a container that appears to be too large for the location tickles me half to death. there are some really twisted caches out there that force you to think flexibly, to figure out the trick, or caches that are themselves both joke and punchline.

when you've seen a few of these brilliant little numbers, you will perhaps come to see that the difference between nearly impossible and impossible is huge and full of joyful surprises.

I am fairly new to this so forgive any stupid questions here.....

I have spend several hours on this site reading and studying different cache types etc... I have seen some that just seem impossible. When I hid my cache I did it so that it was not in the open, but wouldnt take hours to try to find it but a little hard looking. SO I guess I am asking how far is to far in hiding a cache?

Thanks,

Dave

Some people like a challenge. I agree that a fake rock in a rock pile isn't fun. I don't enjoy the "Needle in a Haystack" caches but if it is truly a challenge. Then it can be enjoyable. I have spent 18 hours on one cache before. I am one of only three groups to have found this cache and it has been out more than a year.

When I first started I never imagined someone would hide a cache where you would need a boat or a ladder, but some of the ones I have found with a boat have been the best caches I have ever found. Some of them even required a boat and a ladder...

StaticTank

A Cache too Hard

By Bad Andy

Only 1 left to go for a dozen this morn

The last few lined up like neat rows of corn.

I hopped out of the rig and prepared for my win

"At this pace, I'm Golden" said I with a grin

My gps led me to a large rock pile

where I soon settled in to search for a while.

Turning rocks and poking 'round with my stick

I began to get flustered and a rock I did kick.

The blood started flowing from my left big toe

but I didn't stop .. gotta find that micro

I crawled like a worm to look into a crack

I climbed up on top, looked in front, then in back.

After hours of looking I sat down in despair

I cursed and I scowled...shook my fist in the air.

As I pondered my failure, bloody and sore

An old timer arrived with a tale full of lore

Said he "You can't stop til you find the prize"

He took a step back, and focused his eyes.

He smiled ear to ear and began to chuckle

Then he danced around shouting "Oh Yeah. Huckle Buckle!!"

I stood in amazement when he began to repeat

"Huckle Buckle! Huckle Buckle!" Pointing down at my feet.

I looked to the ground then I slapped my head

As a realized it was a fake sprinkler head.

The moral is true regardless how wylie

You gotta keep looking if you want that smilie

Edited by BadAndy

as long as it's properly rated, there is no "too hard".

fuller response: there are hard hides that are just stupid: there's no art to them.

Agree with both above responces.

If you are finding that a cacher's hides are too hard or not properly rated, you might avoid them for now. As you gain experience all this will become easier. That having been said, weekly I still can't place me hands on a few 1 to 2 difficulty rated hides while I'm out. I swear, the eyes play tricks on you. Just the other day I was out with my Father caching and we hunted for 7 caches. Two of them we both all but put our hands on and didn't find them until going back over where we'd looked a second or third time.

A cache's discription is also very important. Clues can be given there as well as the obvious, the hint.

You might also place a time limit on how long you hunt, depending on the difficulty rating, how far you had to go to get there, weather, muggles, etc. The most difficult cache I've looked for was a 4 and we looked for about 15 minutes and then moved on to the next cache. It shouldn't have been that hard based on what the discription read and previous logs, and there was limits to where it could be. Still haven't heard back for the owner of that one with a hint that was promised after you log a DNF.

Some 1 to 2 stars are still making me crazy, one is just half a mile away. Been there three times, high muggle and car traffic, bouncy GPS. One of these days.

The more time you spend doing this it will make more sense. I find that most of the time when I am having problems finding the cache it is do to me and my tunnel vision. :o

Quote from one of my logs:

Had to make an early trip to Eldon. Well I knew right where I was going as usual. Did not need to use the gps because I knew right where it would be. After not finding it I fired up the unit and as always I was about 100+ feet away. WRONG side of the depot. WRONG Choo Choo. WRONG WRONG WRONG :P:):D

Well I found it. Nice hide! Nice location and city park.

TFTC SL

Notes to self:

1. Do not assume, because you are usually wrong and a long way a way! :anicute:

2. Use gps when provided! :)

3. When you are right more than likely your wrong and don't have a clue! :(

You will have good days and bad days when caching. Keep in mind for the most part the bad are still good :D