Newbie trying to list a cache, but cant get coords right

jonny the fox

Hid three geocaches today and made notes on location.

I'm in the UK and using a GPS60 set to BRITISH GRID

Coordinates are SX 57869 67012 (a location on Dartmoor in SW England) for the first one ive tried to register.

Not sure what system of coords I need to register with because the first one I tried came up in Canada when I viewed the map and the other one I tried came up on one of the Scottish Isles.

Am I doing something stupid?

And i've submitted it already, so will the reviewer spot i've been a muppet and not release it to the general public?

PLEASE HELP!

British grid is one datum. WGS84 is another. They are both "models" of the earth with varying ways to measure the individual points. This website uses WGS84 reported in the decimal minutes format. Your GPS can do the conversion for you - just set it to WGS84.

Not quite... British Grid is a coordinate system like UTM or even lat / long... it uses OSGB 36 datum...

Geocaching.com uses DD MM.mmm (lat/long) in WGS 84 Datum as has been said...

To the OP... to plot things on a map use the BG and OSGB 36.. or whatever datum the map uses... to convert back away from the map to caching mode... just set to our set.. Like Starbrand says, the conversion is then automatic.. it's all the same to the GPS... the map is the different situation... since the

measurements of where things are changed... you can see this on the Wikipedia site.. and others...

Doug