Keeping up with multiple finds in a day

Winstonsdad

I did a search and it did not find any results, so here goes.

When you folks are caching for a day and find several caches, how do you keep track of them during the day? Do you carry a log with you? Do keep up with them in your GPS? How do you keep from getting confused on which cache you found so you can log them when you get to your computer?

On my Palm Centro, I just tap the waypoint ID in Plucker Viewer, which copies it into the clipboard. I switch over to the Memo function, paste in the waypoint ID, the status code (find, DNF, whatever)*, then log my note, either right at the site, or back in my car.

When I get back home, I Bluetooth the memo to my PC, copy the entire day's logs to the clipboard, start one of my magical Greasemonkey scripts, paste in the logs, and press the Distribute button. It opens log pages for each cache in separate tabs. I click the Insert Field Notes button on each log page, and it automatically sets the date, log type, and inserts the text. It also adds a custom signature line. And it automatically triggers my Find Count script, so it prepends the log with the sequential find counter (assuming the log type is a Find).

* I actually use the Palm app Shortcut5 to append a Field Note time stamp into the log, and insert the status code at the same time.

I can only speak for the Oregon, since I haven't played with the other units, but it works very well. After you've found the cache, you hit the "Log Geocache" button, which gives you a choice of log types, including found or DNF. After you've selected log type, you get to choose between "Add Note" "Find Another" or "Done." If you select the note option, you can enter your notes using a touchpad that comes up onscreen. It's pretty slick.

Yeah, that is slick. It sounds a lot better than I thought it would be. Thanks for the info. Have to seriously consider the Oregon now that there's going to be a $50 MIR...

I was at the GPS Adventure Maze this week, they had a mini theatre set up with a 360 degree movie of a guy out geocaching. It kinda made me think of people's home movies, it was great to be there, but nobody will ever want to watch it again, unless little Joey spit up all over Uncle Sal... :)

:D

I found a broken Vado on eBay, if I win the auction, it'll go under the knife to see how it is built.

Edited by Chrysalides

We use to print off the cache page and write our notes on the back.now we are using a Colorado I wish the found caches would go to the calendar like our Venture HC did. We did not find it too hard to remember details for the day but when we cached on vacation (camping no internet) we had diffcultly so we started to make notes in GASK on our laptop at the end of every day