Share My Outrage at Astigmatic Geocaches!

Folks, I am good and mad! I am enraged! I am outraged! I am talking about so-called astigmatic geocaches, which are "?" geocaches which have an additional logging requirement (ALR) requiring that only geocachers who have been diagnosed by a licensed and board-certified optometrist or opthalmologist will be allowed to log finds, and that in order to log an acceptable online find, all prospective finders must submit to the cache owner, via email, a scanned copy of the diagnostic workup form, using either valid ICD-9 or ICD-10 codes, which declares that the geocacher has been diagnosed as astigmatic.

Now, this ticks me off no end! You know why? I'll tell you why! It pisses me off because this kind of geocache excludes those of us God-fearing red-blooded Americans who are not astigmatic -- in fact, it means that if we are not astigmatic, then we CANNOT log an online find on such caches!

I invite anyone who agrees with me to post to this thread. I am telling you right now that filthy commie pinko slimeballs who disagree with me will not be allowed to post to this thread, under the threat of being condemned to hell for all of eternity if they violate my rule.

Thank you for doing the needful.

The fact that I don't understand any of what you just said has me enraged too!

But seriously - aren't some of these ALR caches getting a little bit out of hand? Attend so many events, find so many puzzles, do so much of something. A few of the challenges have been fun but I suppose there can be too much of a good think. Thank TPTB for the ignore function. Up to you to ignore what you choose to. As it should be.

Apparently you have never seen the geocaches that are for Premium Members Only. You must pay the $30 for this status. Remember, not all geocaches are for all people (i.e., the ones on mountain tops, hundereds of feet in an ocean so you have to us a submersible to retrieve, etc.). I don't usually do puzzle caches because of the time involved to solve them. There are more that 770,000 geocaches world-wide and surely I can find some caches I can hunt. After 6 years of geocaching, I have leaned to roll with the flow. By the way, I am a premium member and have only hunted a few for members only.

As an astigmatic, (and I promise you, I do not carry this affliction with any sort of feeling of one-upmanship, and other than wearing glasses, I do not flaunt my affliction), I have no personal problem with the ALR on this sort of cache. However, I do feel your pain.

Perhaps you could write the owners of these caches, to see if they would allow you to search for and log your finds, if you were to make the find using special astigmatism feigning techniques?

Tell them you would only look for their caches while applying pressure to the sides of your eyeballs, thereby pressing them into oblong shapes, thus making your eyes unable to focus properly, and assuming, albeit temporarily, the effects of astigmatism. You could do this by squeezing your eyes between your fingers, or inserting wads of cotton into the eye sockets, until the desired effect is reached.

After taking these reasonable steps, I see no reason why you would not be allowed to log these caches. :lol:

Edited by team moxiepup

I found a doctor who for a small fee will provide you with a diagnosis of astigmatism so you can log the cache. I am planning on creating a Yahoo! group for sharing the names of professionals who can certify your qualifications for logging all sorts of ALR caches. I just hope that this doesn't outrage the hiders of these cache to the point that they threaten to archive all their ALR caches.

Edited by tozainamboku

Folks, I am good and mad! I am enraged! I am outraged! I am talking about so-called astigmatic geocaches, which are "?" geocaches which have an additional logging requirement (ALR) requiring that only geocachers who have been diagnosed by a licensed and board-certified optometrist or opthalmologist will be allowed to log finds, and that in order to log an acceptable online find, all prospective finders must submit to the cache owner, via email, a scanned copy of the diagnostic workup form, using either valid ICD-9 or ICD-10 codes, which declares that the geocacher has been diagnosed as astigmatic.

Now, this ticks me off no end! You know why? I'll tell you why! It pisses me off because this kind of geocache excludes those of us God-fearing red-blooded Americans who are not astigmatic -- in fact, it means that if we are not astigmatic, then we CANNOT log an online find on such caches!

I invite anyone who agrees with me to post to this thread. I am telling you right now that filthy commie pinko slimeballs who disagree with me will not be allowed to post to this thread, under the threat of being condemned to hell for all of eternity if they violate my rule.

Thank you for doing the needful.

Hey that is the COs rule, deal with it and don't do the cache if it excludes you.