Found strange cache...

jeriveraf

On our way to find some caches my girlfriend noticed an open container on the side of the trail. Upon examining it we were surprised to see it is a geocache because there is no marked cache at that location, the newest log in the cache was from 8/19/2007 (a year and a half ago!), and it was located on a very popular urban trail. The cache did not have a cache code or the name of the owner, the only identification was a cache name "GPower Cache" and the day placed 2/5/2007. We found the cache at N28 37.249 W081 15.901.

Is this an abandoned cache? Is there a way to log the find or to find/notify the owner?

On our way to find some caches my girlfriend noticed an open container on the side of the trail. Upon examining it we were surprised to see it is a geocache because there is no marked cache at that location, the newest log in the cache was from 8/19/2007 (a year and a half ago!), and it was located on a very popular urban trail. The cache did not have a cache code or the name of the owner, the only identification was a cache name "GPower Cache" and the day placed 2/5/2007. We found the cache at N28 37.249 W081 15.901.

Is this an abandoned cache? Is there a way to log the find or to find/notify the owner?

Looks like this one here.

Edit: oops, looks like arrowone beat me to it.

Edited by Zombie Woof

jeriveraf,

I would:

Check the other cache sites and if it is not on them then..

Try to contact the CO giving 45 days to reply.

Go back to acquire the cache.

Sign the log book.

Log the find online and make an offer to the CO to return it to them in said log.

Pm the offer.

Wait 45 days for a reply.

After day 45 Keep it as a trophy.

just curious: why 45?

jeriveraf,

I would:

Sign the log book.

Log the find online and make an offer to the CO to return it to them in said log.

Pm the offer.

for a total of 90 days. The average person checks their email more than 4 times a year.

jeriveraf,

I would:

Sign the log book.

Pm the offer.

for a total of 90 days. The average person checks their email more than 4 times a year.

I must not be average because I sometimes go seven months without checking my personal email.

jeriveraf,

I would:

Sign the log book.

Pm the offer.

I must not be average because I sometimes go seven months without checking my personal email.

According to a Gartner Inc. survey of users in a corporate setting.

53% check six or more times a day.

34% check constantly through the day.

42% check whilst on vacation.

23% over weekends.

UCLA survey of American households found that

38% check once a day.

29% several times a day.

17% several times a week.

9% hourly.

6% once a week.

1% less than once a week.

Pew Internet & American life found that 88% check at least once a day.

So yeah, when it comes to checking e-mail I would say you're not average.

jeriveraf,

I would:

Sign the log book.

Pm the offer.

According to a Gartner Inc. survey of users in a corporate setting.

53% check six or more times a day.

34% check constantly through the day.

42% check whilst on vacation.

23% over weekends.

UCLA survey of American households found that

38% check once a day.

29% several times a day.

17% several times a week.

9% hourly.

6% once a week.

1% less than once a week.

Pew Internet & American life found that 88% check at least once a day.

So yeah, when it comes to checking e-mail I would say you're not average.

Hmmm, as far as my work email checking habits go I fall in to the constantly through the day category. I can't check work email while on vacation and I can only check on weekends if I am working weekends. I can only access my work email at work.

Just curious, but where do you have Groundspeak send announcements and such? What about your account validation?

I just assumed that Glenn is only a PM to support the site and doesn't bother with anything else that comes with the package.

I've been supporting the site ever since the PM program came in to existence. I suppose that makes me a charter member but I had a short period where I let my membership lapse. My employer of choice sometimes requires me to stay work for months at a time. They have a very strict policy on checking personal email at work. In fact they block all the popular web based email providers. During the seven months that I am required to be at work I may get 3 or 4 chances to not be at work about 3 to 4 days and when this happens the last thing I want to do is check and see how much spam my personal email account has collected. In fact I am still deleting spam emails from the last time I had to spend seven months at work.

Just curious, but where do you have Groundspeak send announcements and such? What about your account validation?

I just assumed that Glenn is only a PM to support the site and doesn't bother with anything else that comes with the package.

I've been supporting the site ever since the PM program came in to existence. I suppose that makes me a charter member but I had a short period where I let my membership lapse. My employer of choice sometimes requires me to stay work for months at a time. They have a very strict policy on checking personal email at work. In fact they block all the popular web based email providers. During the seven months that I am required to be at work I may get 3 or 4 chances to not be at work about 3 to 4 days and when this happens the last thing I want to do is check and see how much spam my personal email account has collected. In fact I am still deleting spam emails from the last time I had to spend seven months at work.

I recommend getting a pop account. Every time I open my e-mail T take a few seconds to scan everything and add all the spam addresses to my delete filters. You can also get lists of known spam domains to block and redirect the address you know you want to different folders.

At work continuously for SEVEN MONTHS?!?!?! Sheesh.. and I thought my hours were bad. Do they lock you in the building so you have to eat, sleep, and procreate at work? Do you work in Antarctica or something?

At work continuously for SEVEN MONTHS?!?!?! Sheesh.. and I thought my hours were bad. Do they lock you in the building so you have to eat, sleep, and procreate at work? Do you work in Antarctica or something?

My guess is he is in the Navy or one of the other branches of the Armed Services. But if I were a betting man, I'd say Navy.

My guess is he is in the Navy or one of the other branches of the Armed Services. But if I were a betting man, I'd say Navy.

I know we are getting more and more off topic but i did want to add that i do run into Glenn's posts quite often. Meaning that he does get to use a computer pretty regularly. I take it that he's just not into the email thing too much.. (not meaning to talk about him or spread rumors or something, just my guess) ;)

I know we are getting more and more off topic but i did want to add that i do run into Glenn's posts quite often. Meaning that he does get to use a computer pretty regularly. I take it that he's just not into the email thing too much.. (not meaning to talk about him or spread rumors or something, just my guess) ;)

The seven month thing doesn't happen that often. There is usually a year to a year and a half between. Also the forums aren't blocked. I haven't checked with ADP (my IP department) to find out if posting to the forums is allowed but I do read them. Anyhoo, if anyone is interested enough to check you will see that I had a posting drought this summer.

lock, kind of.

building, no.

eat, yes.

sleep, yes.

procreate, I hope not.

Antarctica, no. But that would be cool because I'd be able to do some geocaching.

I recommend getting a pop account. Every time I open my e-mail T take a few seconds to scan everything and add all the spam addresses to my delete filters. You can also get lists of known spam domains to block and redirect the address you know you want to different folders.

Spam isn't that much of a problem and most of it can be identified and deleted after only looking at who sent it and the subject of the email. Not being able to check email while at work (including POP email because the port is blocked at the firewall) and having better things to do with my time during my limited time in port are two big reasons for not checking my personal email for months. I'm still getting caught up with reading emails.

Bingo.