NUVI 350 vs NUVI 550

Tjdreams

I have a 60csx with NT street maps and a Vista hcx with topo maps

They both work well on the trail and for geocaching, But the screen size is small and sometimes difficult to see when driving.

My work locations change often Currently I'm finding myself trying to navigate side roads to avoid the I-95 & 495 traffic jams around DC. and the small screen on the handhelds just isn't adequate anymore

I have borrowed a nuvi 350 and like it's size and features, But it is no longer listed on Garmin website

which makes me wounder were their problems with that model or was it just discontinued for a newer version.

The NUVI 550 seems similar to the 350 but it also has the traffic alerts thing Is this worth the extra $$$ or just more useless bells and whistles.

which would you choose?

Links to Reviews and info on these or other simular models welcome

Thanks

Edited by Tjdreams

I would suggest a wide screen instead. The screens are much bigger and better.

The 350 is an old discontinued model.

A 550 is a waterproof Nuvi with the Geocaching utility and that is why it is expensive. It is intended to be used both in the field and in the car.

If it is just for the car, get a 205W or 255W. Both are new with the nicer, newer software and work well. Cache information can be loaded with one of the nice GSAK macros.

This page is relatively up to date: http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_compari...sion-chart.html

If it is just for the car, get a 205W or 255W. Both are new with the nicer, newer software and work well. Cache information can be loaded with one of the nice GSAK macros.

I totally agree. Got a 205 and a 255 myself (not the Wide versions though but as I use it for caching I prefer it to be small and easy to hide). The "T" versions of these models comes with a different car charging cable that has a TMC reciever on the cable if you need/want traffic information.

And yes, they are totally awesome for storing cache information if used with the proper GSAK macro.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

I have a 60csx with NT street maps and a Vista hcx with topo maps

They both work well on the trail and for geocaching, But the screen size is small and sometimes difficult to see when driving.

My work locations change often Currently I'm finding myself trying to navigate side roads to avoid the I-95 & 495 traffic jams around DC. and the small screen on the handhelds just isn't adequate anymore

I have borrowed a nuvi 350 and like it's size and features, But it is no longer listed on Garmin website

which makes me wounder were their problems with that model or was it just discontinued for a newer version.

The NUVI 550 seems similar to the 350 but it also has the traffic alerts thing Is this worth the extra $$$ or just more useless bells and whistles.

which would you choose?

Links to Reviews and info on these or other simular models welcome

Thanks

You could just use the 60csx (I'm not sure about the Vista) along with nRoute connected by USB to your Laptop (if you have one - didn't think about that).

I've used it this way and it works great; even has voice turn-by-turn.

This should be a large enough screen.... :yikes:

Edited by wkmccall

You could just use the 60csx (I'm not sure about the Vista) along with nRoute connected by USB to your Laptop (if you have one - didn't think about that).

I've used it this way and it works great; even has voice turn-by-turn.

This should be a large enough screen.... :yikes:

Not a option for my intended Use. It Needs to be smaller and more portable.

I would hold off on buying a newer model nuvi for a couple months until bugs related to the latest map update (2009.11) are worked out. There are reported issues with the nuvi that will literally have you driving in a circle (I call it "looping"), traffic services not working properly, and turn indicator that will tell you a different direction than what the map reflects on the screen. I don't know if these issues affect the 550, but the 2X5 and 7X5 series are impacted. My 350 with the latest maps seem to be working flawlessly, but the 255 seems to be buggy.

Edited by ryguyMN

I cache almost exclusively with a NUVI 500. It is the same as the NUVI 550, but has better maps loaded into it. With the 500 I can navigate to 3 or 4 caches in the same amount of time it used to take me to find one!

Like the Oregon and Colorado you can save cache-notes and then upload your finds when you get home onto gc.com. The utility does not mention the NUVI - but it works.

The NUVI does NOT have a built-in compass, it relies on satellite fixes - which is the biggest problem I have with it. I keep having to do the "drunken garmin swagger" with it. It does better in the woods than my etrex due to having the better chipset.

THE 500 AND 550 SUPPORT PAPERLESS GEOCACHING! It gets you in the game for a few hundred $$ less than Oregon or Colorado.

Edited by PIRATE RAT