Oregon and route limits + data management

kevenh

I found we can have 50 routes in the Oregon, but how many direction changes (waypoints?) can each route have?

Also, while geocaches are easy to manager on the Oregon, I find that writing new routes to the same route collection on the Oregon /garmin/gpx folder causes the old routes to still be listed, as well as the new ones.

For example, I have 20 routes saved to localroutes.gpx that weren't organised how I liked.

So I prefixed the routes with '01_', '02_' etc. to get the order I wanted.

Then I wrote over 'localroutes.gpx' with the new route collection.

Now I get both lists in the Route management display on the Oregon :mad:

I am using the 2.85 beta. ty

Tried to have Mapsource manage the routers, but I still end up with the old and new route names.

Hoping 4 some response this time, cheers

Is it just me? Is it such a basic operator error and you're embaressed for me, and hope I sort it out myself and sneak away?

Or has none of us cured it except for doing a factory reset operation?

:laughing:

Not clear what you mean.

Don't understand why everybody wants to reset.

Changing the file(route) name will not change the name in oregon, you need to load the route in Mapsource select on the left Routes and 2 click on it, then rename it and save this route, on your computer, repeat for all.

Once you're sure you have all the routes on your computer, delete all the routes on your gps, then see if they are really gone, now copy all to the the gps from the computer.

The copy is better done with windows explorer.

=================================================================

Most data is collected in current.gpx, including tracks, routes and waypoints, if you are sure you have a backup of all data you don't want to lose you can delete current.gpx and if there temp.gpx

this might resolve the double names issue.

Edited by splashy

That's just the way it works with routes and waypoints. If you load a gpx file onto the Oregon containing routes they get added to the internal route database. However, deleting the file does not remove them from the internal list. If you want to delete the routes you should remove the file and then go to the route manager and remove them before loading new routes.

Thanks, that was the way it was looking.

So we can't edit the internal route database when the Oregon is in mass storage mode? :laughing:

Opps! Sorry Splashy I thought stuff below the ======== was your signature until I read it again.

It's direct manipulation of the garmibn/gpx folder via a 3rd party route maker that got me the duplicate routes with the 2nd set of names :laughing:

Edited by kevenh

I found we can have 50 routes in the Oregon, but how many direction changes (waypoints?) can each route have?

It's more tham 50 route waypoints, that's for sure :D - probably just limited to the maximum # of waypoints then :unsure:

Also, while geocaches are easy to manager on the Oregon, I find that writing new routes to the same route collection on the Oregon /garmin/gpx folder causes the old routes to still be listed, as well as the new ones.

For example, I have 20 routes saved to localroutes.gpx that weren't organised how I liked.

So I prefixed the routes with '01_', '02_' etc. to get the order I wanted.

Then I wrote over 'localroutes.gpx' with the new route collection.

Now I get both lists in the Route management display on the Oregon :o

Clearing out the routes from the GPSr route manager interface and re-saving my routes from MemoryMap got me where I wanted to be.

Shame we can't directly manage the route table for the 'in use' routes.

Thanx for the feedback that got me to this point :D

... probably just limited to the maximum # of waypoints then :unsure: ...

Doubt it, but it's really easy to find out. Just create several routes in Mapsource (use Route / Duplicate) and then edit them so that's there's 99, 199, 299, 399, etc waypoints in each. Transfer them to your GPS and see which one gives "Too Many Waypoints" error. If no error message, open each route separately and look to see if all the points were transferred.

My 60Cx will allow 50 routes with 50 waypoints in each and will do full "Follow Road" autorouting. With 51 waypoints to 250 waypoints you can only do "Off-Road" (Direct) routing. Routes cannot have more than 250 waypoints.

Bob

P.S. I didn't respond to this question initially as it's easy to find out by just experimenting - and then you at least learn something. Just asking a question and reading the reply doesn't teach much, except, of course, how to be a Manager and delegate the work :o