Buying my first GPS Receiver

Reno Wolves

I usually use my phone but it's horrible in my area sometimes getting so far off as 60 metres...

I am looking to buy a new GPS device and I was wondering what all you are using and whatou recommend...

I would like it waterproof, and have geocaching features... and I am not sure if there is even a difference, but I am planning to go international. Japan to be exact.. do all GPS devices work internationally? Or is there some extra feature?

I assume you are considering a handheld unit as opposed to a larger vehicle navigation one. I've used a Garmin 60csx for 6 months now and love it. You have to make sure maps are available for your intended travel area. Street or Topo??

As far as I know a GPS receives signals all over the world (those darn satelites keep circling our planet).

For international use, you will likely want a Garmin unit such as the 60CSx or the Colorado or Oregon. The 60CSx is around $300, but you can get it off amazon.com for around $160 when they slap the sale on it (very spotty sales, you'll need to watch for them to list it). The Colorado and Oregon are more expensive, but some really praise them!

All are great for caching!

I have an Oregon 400t , 60csx, etc. and recently used the Nuvi 500 for geocaching too over the last week

I am impressed with the Nuvi 500 especially if you will be using it mainly for driving and sometimes for Geocaching. For on the trail, I would go with the Oregon 400t and buy City Navigator maps. There is a rebate on the Oregon too.

Here is my comparison of the Nuvi 500 against the Oregon 400t, and 60csx.

http://zinnware.com/HighAdv/Geocaching/GPS_Comparison.pdf

the gpsr will work anywhere, as stated above. i know garmin doesn't have maps for japan, but there are some 3rd party maps you can find in the 'asia' section of these forums. they don't autoroute.

Well, Garmin does make maps for Japan and there are third party maps that do indeed autoroute.

well, thanks for showing that. i looked on the garmin website map page and that was not listed, then i emailed garmin and they said no maps for japan. that was about 6 months ago. i'll have to try to find that when i go, which is usually once a year.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/buymaps.do

Does anyone have a chime? I got the 60Cx when my Legend C crapped out on me. These are definitely the most popular units around my area. The Delmores look great, but they are also a lot more expensive. PS: no GMP is truly waterproof.

Edited by JATurtle