Upgrading a cache

Star*Hopper

To my way of thinking, a TB Motel type cache would be best placed somewhere near a couple of well-traveled roads that hopefully cross. That way, for someone traveling East or West (e.g.) who's moving a Traveler with a goal/mission that needs to go North or South, (& vice versa of course) this would provide a good place to drop it off where it could get the change of direction it needs.

I have a cache already located in an ideal spot for this. It's just a waterproof matchbox I camo'd well (spraying on layers of adhesive followed by rolling it in ant-hill dirt until it looked like a dirt clod) & filled with 'micro swag'. It's an 'evil' enough container that I didn't make it a particularly difficult hide....but it's fooled its share of folks. It's actually gotten a lot better 'action' than I really anticipated, likely because these are the 2 most heavily traveled roads in this town. This intersection is a good 'pit stop' - there's food, gas & lodging nearby - and as apparent from the logs, most finders are traveling thru.

Due to its unexpected popularity, I've been thinking of upgrading to a larger container to make it a bit nicer find for those who bother to stop & look for it. Besides, quite a few of them have been Scouts traveling to & from a Scouting camp further east....and doing something nice for Scouts makes it all the more worthwhile, IMO.

I've also been entertaining thoughts of placing a TB Motel, since we don't have one around here. That li'l light blub (yes, b-l-u-b :) ) come on....a-ha! -- 2 birds with one stone!!

My question. Which would be the better way to go?

• Just upgrade to a larger & better stocked container (it'd be a camo'd Lock 'n Lock) & revise the name .. or ..

• Archive the old one & make it a whole new cache, with a different name? (Would let former finders 'hit' it again.)

Whatcha think?

~*

I would archive the old one and create a new one. Usually when I update one of my caches it is because of geographic purposes, being muggled, or the cache has been damaged and I have replaced it with something just a "little" different from the original.

A lot of people put in their cache name that this is a TB hotel. This way people are more likely to bring one and trade out. This will also give those that have already found it another reason to visit the area. Sometimes when you just update the cache not all the people are aware that this has been done. Especially NonPM's that do not have the "set up updates" feature.

There's a couple others, both older'n mine, within 'striking distance' of that intersection. One's a station of a 16-stage "Amazing Race" series that's in heavy disrepair; the other a particularly evil hide that's only been found 5-6 times. Mine's really the best location for this, & the other 2 have me sorta 'blocked off' as far as moving to a more strategic spot (ya'd hafta see the layout to understand) - so that sorta precludes changing the site too.

Anyway, we can drop this one - I'll archive & post anew. Just thought I'd broach the subject here in case there was some element I didn't consider.....like opposing thoughts on my 'crossroads theory'. Thx guys!

~*