Mexico

DavidMac

Sometime in the spring, we are considering a caching trip to the southern part of Texas... possibly through San Antonio, Austin, and the Hill Country, then south toward Brownsville. Since I've never been to Mexico (and I don't particularly care for cruises), I've been wondering about the possibility of heading across the border for one brief cache.

The problem is, it looks like our options are very slim. All I can seem to find (from west to east) is Tlaloc (GCKRKB, Los Ebanos Ferry (GCT8HK), El Rio de Las Palmas (GCNM3F), and Art 1301 - PA (GC1KQ9B). We have passports, but will probably be in a rental car (can't take that across). My questions are:

- Which one of these would be best suited for parking the car, then walking across the border and back?

- Does anybody have any experience with these particular caches?

- Are urban or rural caches more "safe"?

- Are there any special concerns to keep in mind when crossing into Mexico and back?

Thanks for any advice. :D I'll plan an exact route once I know a little more.

I had no issues driving a rental across the border back last September. Bring passport or copy of birth certificate to get back, though.

What rental company allows you to drive their vehicles across the border? I've checked with all of the chains in my area and they're all adamant about it. Some would let me drive to Canada but none into Mexico. Sure you "can", but what if something happens? My insurance won't cover it either.

Are there any other Texas cachers in these forums?

There's a lot of border from Brownsville to El Paso, so I can't be just sure, but my family lives in the area and says that the border is becoming increasingly unsafe. My family is from Mexico and currently living in San Benito and since the crime has been so terrible lately, they have refused to go into Mexico at Matamoros or anywhere near Laredo. Mostly, they are not going into Mexico at all unless they have a good reason(read; medications). My cousin is an EMT in McAllen and says that the gang violence near the border is getting worse all the time. You should keep the risk in mind if you're going. It is probably safe for people going across to get medications and buy things, but geocaching has a wandering way about it, and if someone thinks your lost you can definitely be a target. Read the local newspapers wherever you're going and be very safe.

However, if you're aware of that and still are interested in going...

I've also never heard of a rental company that would allow their cars taken over the border. We've always walked over or driven in our own car. If you park just on the other side of the border, you can get a taxi inside and try to get very close to your cache and walk to it and then taxi back to the border. I don't know how fun that'd be though. :mad: If you have any family near the border your might enlist them for a day of fun and adventure and just borrow them and their car for the day.

Mredria is correct, you can't drive a across the border. You'll have to walk it and take a taxi, your passport, and cash (but not large bills, keep it $20 or under). Stick to the tourist areas the cabbie will recommend and don't stray off from the main bar areas.

Geocaching? Not really any in the Mexican border towns. Sorry DavidMac. Save that Mexico find for when you visit Cancun, Cozumel, Acapulco, etc. Much, much safer.

Monterrey is a beautiful city and has some awesome caches up in the mountains. I visited there pre-geocaching and have always wanted to go back.

We are spending the winter in Alamo, Texas. I highly recommend that you drive from Brownsville to Progresso, TX. Park in one of the lots before crossing the bridge (we park in the one on our left for easy out, cost $2), and then walk across to Nuevo Progresso, Mexico. BE SURE TO TAKE YOUR PASSPORT OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Follow the directions on Art... There will be a closed sign at the bottom of the steps, and maybe a begging lady, but just walk on up the steps. Then, enjoy some time wandering the main street. Eat lunch at Arturo's (Big restaurant on your left as you walked in to town), or Red Snapper (on the right side of the street farther down.) You won't need Mexican money...they understand the American dollar.

You will each need one quarter heading in to Mex. and one quarter and one nickel coming back to U.S. for the turnstile. BE SURE TO TAKE YOUR PASSPORT OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

Los Ebanos is neat...a hand pulled ferry, but it's a long drive from Brownsville, the cache is often not there (though a picture on the ferry will count) and if you walk on there is really nothing to see. There really have been problems at some border towns, but not Progresso, so far.

Have a great time, let me know how it goes, and, in case I forgot to mention it: BE SURE TO TAKE YOUR PASSPORT OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

CAROL

We're about two weeks out, so it's time to do some serious trip planning. I've attached a map below and would welcome any suggestions on must-do caches, or best routes. We will be staying in San Antonio (A) for three nights and somewhere else (B or C) for the fourth night.

The trip down from Mississippi will possibly follow one of the three blue routes. All are 610-630 miles long but are on different types of roads. We prefer to avoid interstates and major cities, but are hoping for four-lane non-interstate divided highways that bypass towns rather than two-lane roads that go right through them.

We would like to make a day trip along the brown route to see the hill country. At this point we're not sure what the best way to go is.

We are considering another side trip along the red route, either making it a day trip and returning to (A) or waiting to drive this way until leaving San Antonio for good and spending the night at (B) or © then catching up with the green route to head home. If we return to San Antonio instead, we will then follow the entire green route home.

We are interested in crossing the border for either the Los Ebanos Ferry or Art 1301 - PA. There have been many reports of violence in the news lately, but I hear that most of it is farther to the west. Should we be concerned?

We prefer quality caches over quantity, and regulars to micros. We also like caches in rural, scenic, or historic areas, and wouldn't mind a hike or two. Any suggestions are appreciated.

090414_TX.jpg

edit: don't turn my letters into smileys.

Edited by DavidMac